Dog Friendly Spots in Tallahassee

Picture this: you have a day off from work and school, and just want to go on an adventure. The last thing you want to do is leave your dog behind. Lucky for you, the Tallahassee area is full of dog-friendly things to do and places to go!

Alfred B. Maclay Gardens is a beautiful state park right here in Tallahassee! The area is home to well-maintained gardens, casual hiking trails, swimming and even fishing and kayaking. Best of all, your dog can experience it with you! Dogs are allowed in Maclay Gardens as long as they are kept on a leash and are cleaned up after. 

Courtesy: India Alfonso 

If you want to visit some parks where your pup can experience a little more freedom, then Tom Brown Park and San Luis Mission Park are perfect for you. Both parks have an extensive network of nature trails where you can run and explore with your dog on a leash, as well as at least one dog park for unrestricted playtime.

For more adventurous pet owners, the Wacissa River is the perfect spot to spend an afternoon. If your dog loves the water as much as you do, then consider renting a canoe or kayak and paddling down to one of the crystal clear springs hidden alongside the river. The freezing cold water is the perfect way to cool off during hot Florida days.

Courtesy: India Alfonso

If you’re looking for a more relaxed evening, then check out Lichgate on High Road. The three acres of land tucked between a Winn Dixie and some apartments is a hidden oasis of natural beauty. The area has an ancient live oak tree at its center and is home to multiple gardens, an outdoor education area and an English Tudor style cottage. The area is open to pets as long as they are kept on a leash and cleaned up after.

You can fuel a fun-filled day adventuring with your pup by eating out at one of the many restaurants in Tallahassee that are dog-friendly! Proof Brewing Company, Sweet Pea café, Madison Social and Wells Brothers Bar and Grill all have outdoor seating where you can sit with your furry friend and eat some good food. On Gaines Street, there is an outdoor pavilion that is right next to amazing restaurants like Gaines Street Pies, Catalina Café and Grasslands Brewing Company. Rumor has it Bruster’s Real Ice Cream on Tharpe will even treat your pup to a free sundae topped with dog bone crumbles. 

So the next time you want to get out of your bedroom and experience all that this wonderful city has to offer, don’t feel like you have to leave your four-legged friend behind. There are tons of places to go, things to do and food to eat with your furry partner in crime.

India is a currently a senior at Florida State University studying English with a concentration in Editing, Writing, and Media. When she is not writing for Her Campus at FSU, she spends her time playing with her puppy Koda and leading outdoor rock climbing trips with the Climbing Club at FSU. India hopes to make a difference for the environment after graduation by advocating for conservation and sustainability. Follow her on Instagram at @indiaalfonso.
Her Campus at Florida State University.