\"Stay home\" written on an etch-a-sketch
Photo by Glen Carrie on Unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

The Do’s and Don’t’s of Social Distancing & Self-Quarantine

“Social distancing” is a term that the world has come to know very well in the past few weeks. With the COVID-19 virus running rampant across the globe, affecting the lives and well-being of millions of people, we have been tasked with one simple order: to stay the heck home. While this seems simple enough, there still seems to be some misconceptions about what exactly this means. Let me break down to you simply, here are the do’s and don’ts of social distancing.

DO: Protect your mental health, first and foremost!

This is a weird time for all of us. I know you probably thought “I wish I had more time to do [insert blank here]” but didn’t mean to have infinite time like this. No one could have expected us to be self-quarantined at home for this long, so naturally, it will run its course on your mental health. Take the necessary steps to protect your mind during this time. Whether that be by baking, working out, binging TV, calling friends, reading, doodling, making DIY projects, etc. No matter what it takes, do whatever you need to in order to take care of yourself during these testing times

DON’T: Leave your house

This one should go without being said…but alas, we still have people who think they are exempt from the social distancing rules being strongly enforced by the CDC. Think of social distancing and self-quarantine as an act of love, rather than an act of labor. By staying home (keyword being home!!!) you are protecting those you love and those at risk all while helping the world move past this scary time.

road sign urging social distancing
Photo by LOGAN WEAVER on Unsplash

DO: Check in on those around you

We are all human and we are all trying to navigate this scary and uncertain time together. Make sure to call/text/DM/zoom your friends/loved ones/classmates/co-workers and check up on how they’re doing. You never know whose day you’re making easier just by letting them know you’re thinking of them! Think of how lonely you can get during these ~quarantimes~ and how badly you just need a friend sometimes.

DON’T: Belittle your struggles

Like I said, these are scary and uncertain times that none of us were prepared to face. I know that there has been a rapid change in your life, whether it’s good or bad, and you might be feeling uncertain about your future. Just remember that your fears and anxieties are valid, no matter what else is happening in the world! Just because you might not be experiencing the absolute worst of this pandemic, you are still experiencing new challenges that can be overwhelming so give that credence and do whatever is necessary to feel ok again.

sign on the side of a brick wall
Photo by Finn on Unsplash

DO: Remember this is only temporary

I’m going to say it louder, for the people in the back: this is only temporary!! Just like every storm, this too shall pass. We will move on as a stronger, more united world and we will recover from this. What matters now is protecting those we love and helping the world heal. Soon, we will be back in school/jobs/the outdoors and we will reflect on this as a time of learning and growth. You will make it. You will be ok. You will be stronger because of this.

painted hands holding with \"US\" on a black steel gate
Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash

The world might seem like it’s falling apart and you might be going through it, but just remember you are not alone and we will come out stronger because of it. Stay at home, stay at peace, remember the do’s and don’ts and prepare for a better tomorrow.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.