DIY Holiday Cheer for the Festive Collegiette

The holiday season is in full swing, Collegiettes! If you’re anything like me, you have been juggling school, work and life, and you might have forgotten a bit about gifts, decorations and holiday spirit. Don’t fear – I have compiled a list of easy DIY decorations and foods that can transform your apartment or dorm into a winter wonderland. Much along the lines of “Friendsgiving,” these tips might be just what you need to help you plan that perfect Christmas party with your roommates and friends!

Treats

1. Cheese Plate

Courtesy: Feathers in Our Nest

Cheese plates are a go-to for holiday entertaining, and they can make you feel like maybe you are doing this “adult” thing right! Add a quality cheese, a sweet side such as berries, a crunchy side such as apple slices or nuts, and something to eat the toppings with, such as crackers.

2. Cheese Ball

Courtesy: Eat. Drink. Love.

Can you tell I love cheese?! For this cheese ball, the cream cheese and white cheddar are blended into a ball with Worcestershire sauce and pecans. Once the ball is topped with cranberries, present it with crackers and you have an elegant finger food that is as yummy as it is beautiful!

3. Party Bread

Courtesy: The Smart Cookie Cook

Follow the above link for this simple recipe that is sure to wow your friends! Cheese, butter and green onions combine to make a sourdough loaf even more delicious.

4. Hot Chocolate Bar

Courtesy: Budget Fairy Tale

Set up a bar just for hot chocolate! Include toppings like chocolate chips, candies, marshmallows, cinnamon and so much more! You can even add a liqueur like Kahlua or Amaretto for a delectable hot mixed drink.

5. Holiday Sangria

Courtesy: Completely Delicious

Made with cranberries, brandy, red wine and oranges, this festive sangria is sure to usher in the holiday cheer! Add in actual cinnamon sticks to give it that homey feel.

Decorations

1. Glitter Party Ornaments

Courtesy: Top Inspired

Glitter might be one of your easiest (and most festive) decorations! Cover cut-out paper snowflakes with glitter, or buy tiny knick-knacks from Goodwill and coat them in glitter.

2. Decorative Candles

Courtesy: Botanical PaperWorks

Mason jars are so versatile and perfect for the holidays! Fill them with water, greenery, cranberries and a candle, and you have a quick and effortless decoration!

3. Place Cards

Courtesy: Apartment Therapy

Do you want to really go the extra mile? Make your guests feel special with an individualized place card (or party favor) and an added herb sprig for that winter feel!

Ideas

1. Host a Cookie Exchange!

Courtesy: Woodbury Magazine

From creative Whoville Cookies to the charming Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups, a cookie exchange can be a fun and reasonably priced activity! Bake several dozen of your favorite cookies and have your friends do the same. Provide guests with dainty boxes or bags to take the cookies home in, and make sure to share recipes with everyone! Keep a pot of hot coffee nearby and get ready to settle in with some delicious treats!

2. Plan an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party

Courtesy: Real Ugly Christmas Sweaters

Invite your friends to hang out and wear your ugliest holiday sweaters! Make sure to include awards and prizes and serve up some delicious treats!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Collegiettes!

headstrong // heartfelt // happyA current sophomore at Florida State, Jamie finds joy in the idiosyncrasies of daily life. She loves perfectly-made cups of Cuban coffee, silly cat videos, and exploring quirky places in Tallahassee and in her native Tampa. Jamie is double majoring in Family/Child Sciences and Spanish and loves to discuss mental health, relationships, and adventures. Follow her on Instagram @jamiesierraa.xoxo
Her Campus at Florida State University.