Disney Princesses in College: Treat your roommates like great guests!

So are you going to clean your room or what?”

Beauty and the Beast is a Disney classic about how the only hot brunette in all of France shacks up with a cranky monster man…who eventually turns into a hunky man. If only my previous boyfriends turned out that way (I’m still waiting for some voodoo magic that will make their bodies float in midair and transform them from jerky guys to decent men). Now, besides my bitter reflection on failed relationships, I thoroughly enjoy Princess Belle, especially since she is the first princess who actually enjoys reading, and not just one book, but several! Although, I have to question her reading level, seeing as she must be at least sixteen years old and is still reading chapter books with pictures in them: Belle, step it up and read The Hunger Games!

I highly cherished this Disney princess back in my childhood, but it is the quirky talking furniture that leads me to today’s lesson: Appreciate your roommate(s), and be each other’s humble guests!

Okay, I understand that it took Belle a lot of courage to save her dad and become prisoner of some mutated bear, but she would not have survived if it were not for the talking furniture.  A French candlestick giving her dinner and a show? A British teapot hooking her up with her future husband? A busty wardrobe woman handing out a free ball gown dress? There is clearly more to Belle’s provincial life…and it is her roommates.  They may not like their housing conditions (or the fact that they are furniture rather than human beings), but you can see that they make the most out of it!

Getting crunk!

These same principles can be applied to your current roommates. Maybe you are placed in an unsavory residence hall or apartment complex, (they can’t all be castles) but you princesses must stick together! You ladies may start off barely being friends, but then somebody might bend unexpectedly, (or just clean your dishes), and then you won’t even remember how much you miss home or your hometown, (you’re so over those people anyways because all they want to do is speak French and form angry mobs).

Your roommates are valuable. They will get you away from the mean Gastons in your life, and maybe not lend you their ball gowns, but go shopping with you to buy one.  Your roommate may seem like a Beast at first, but understand that under the furry exterior is a person that just wants to have a social connection and bond…most likely not be the love of your life, but eventually someone you can talk to and realize that there may be something there that wasn’t there before.

My fellow Disney Princesses, go out there and cherish your beloved roommates! Be their guest and don’t forget to treat them as such!

They have faith in you.

Disney Princesses in College is a new series that explores the different princesses/females in Disney films, and how they apply to everyday life lessons in college. Each week is a new princess, so if you have any comments or suggestions as to what princess/female character you want written about for the next week, feel free to leave a comment!

Amanda is currently a Junior at Florida State University. She is double majoring in Creative Writing and Media Communications and is oh-so excited about it. When she isn't trying to write poetry or read recommended books, Amanda finds herself on the internet doing absolutely nothing, or at any Mexican restaurant in Tallahassee munching on delicious salsa and chips. If you have any salsa that will blow her mind and taste buds, please let her know so that you can become life long friends. Amanda is not a cat person, but thoroughly enjoys cat memes.
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."