Disney Princesses In College: Network With Your Professors

“This is how I college.”

There are a lot of amazing lessons you can take from Mulan in her own movie. I mean, she technically isn’t a princess, but doesn’t she deserve the title? She nearly sacrificed herself for her father, became a total, “bro,” and still saved China in a great outfit. Yeah, she is definitely a princess to me. 

Mulan taught me that I didn’t have to wear lipstick or learn how to properly pour tea in order to catch a man. Mulan was able to kick major butt with her newfound guy friends, and stay true to herself, (albeit the ugly “man voice” and soldier armor), so that in the end she still got all the glory and the hot guy, (but with that rocking body and smile, Shane could make a man out of me anytime). As a Disney princess in college, you should definitely channel your inner Mulan and 98 degrees by staying true to your heart, (but seriously was that not one of the catchiest credit songs for a Disney film, ever)?!

However, that is not the only lesson I derived from the movie, Mulan. Now, I hope you’re ready for this lesson because it does deserve a great amount of attention…possibly more attention than Shane’s cartoon abs. So what did Mulan teach me about college? Well, simply this: Network with your professors.

At this point you are probably re-reading that last line to make sure it is correct. Network with my professors? What about dating, working out, or even how to defeat the Huns?! Now princesses, try to hear me out! Although Mulan did teach me how to defeat the Huns, she also did something else very important… become best friends with her guardian, Mushu. Remember Mushu, the puny Eddie Murphy dragon with the sassy attitude? Let’s not forget he was Mulan’s main accomplice in helping her bring honor to her family and save China. Mulan may have had the skills and confidence, but Mushu gave her the guidance and extra help to reach her full potential. Oh, and he had great catch phrases.

Worst nightmare? More like best friend/best comical relief.

Your professors may not have fantastic one-liners, but they can sure help you throughout your college experience. Some of your professors will be your go-to for advice about your major, for help in your assignments, and later on for help with recommendation letters. We can assume Mulan has Mushu under her list of references, (next to the emperor of China and her hot husband/mentor Shane), so you should start looking around to start building your own list. Don’t just go to office hours to defeat the Huns, (your grade or last exam grade), but to also strike a conversation and perhaps get to know your professor on a deeper level, (one that isn’t just you staring at them in a lecture hall with 200 people).

A professor can make a student out of you yet, but you need to take the step and start networking with them. Princesses, you are all obviously girls worth fighting for, but you got to fight for your future school and career goals by getting out there and networking with your professors! Don’t worry; they’re not fire breathing dragons…just normal people. 

Go out and conquer!

Disney Princesses in College is a new series that explores the different princesses/females in Disney films, and how they apply to everyday life lessons in college. Each week is a new princess, so if you have any comments or suggestions as to what princess/female character you want written about for the next week, feel free to leave a comment!

Amanda is currently a Junior at Florida State University. She is double majoring in Creative Writing and Media Communications and is oh-so excited about it. When she isn't trying to write poetry or read recommended books, Amanda finds herself on the internet doing absolutely nothing, or at any Mexican restaurant in Tallahassee munching on delicious salsa and chips. If you have any salsa that will blow her mind and taste buds, please let her know so that you can become life long friends. Amanda is not a cat person, but thoroughly enjoys cat memes.
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!