Disney Princesses in College: Make Wise Choices, Don’t Take That Apple!

“You SO get me.”

I have my issues with Snow White. For instance, I’m so glad she is able to make reckless decisions time after time and still be rewarded with a happily ever after, even though those choices literally put her in a coma. I guess this means I can sleep through all of my classes, or decide to consume TONS of alcohol before my test and still pass. It makes Disney Princess logical sense, right?

No, the answer is and always will be no. Though Snow White’s kindness and selfless behavior is what SUPPOSEDLY saved her from severe consequences, the same rules don’t apply to a Disney Princess in college. I could give rides to the entire student body, clean my roommates’ rooms every day, and befriend all of the squirrels that live on campus, but if I don’t think twice about something, I might not get as many re-dos as precious Snow White did. I mean sure, you have your friends to bust you out every once in awhile, but slipping up all the time? Your Seven Dwarves might just want to throw in the towel and go work in the coal mines just to take a break.

Also, let’s not forget that in the original, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, fairytale Snow White messes up not once, but THREE times! You would think that if you almost die from a too-tight bodice and a poisoned comb (all given by STRANGERS), you would be hesitant to accept an apple from an old hag. I guess Walt Disney didn’t want to put his princess to shame too much, so he reduced it to one silly mistake. This is why Snow White has led me to believe in one very important lesson every Disney Princess should follow: Be cautious, don’t eat the apple!

^Not safe

As a princess in college, you’re going to do a lot of reckless things, such as party late the night before a test, consume too many apple martinis, or even talk to strangers that you realize later were just sleazy evil witches in disguise (hopefully not your step-mom….awkward). These things will happen, but it doesn’t mean you can’t still use common logic. If someone hands you a drink that you know isn’t from a licensed bartender, you best believe a college princess should throw it out and opt for a beverage in which she KNOWS what’s inside. If a princess puts her drink down at a club or party, she should just know not pick it up again…unless she picks it up to throw it out because college princesses are tidy like that. Lastly, if a princess plans to get crunk with her seven dwarves, she best already have a dwarf acting as designated driver.

Princesses, you are already leaps and bounds smarter than Snow White, (she got the prince, but you’ve got the street smarts) so take my advice and don’t take the apple. Especially now during homecoming, be sure to have fun, but make wise decisions in ways only a savvy college princess can!

Happy Homecoming!

*P.S.: Although this princess does not appreciate the mistakes Snow White made, let it be known that this princess believes Snow didn’t ask to be poisoned by the apple either. Snow White and every Disney princess in college should strive to make good choices, but witches also shouldn’t poison apples…period. Thank you!

Disney Princesses in College is a new series that explores the different princesses/females in Disney films, and how they apply to everyday life lessons in college. Each week is a new princess, so if you have any comments or suggestions as to what princess/female character you want written about for the next week, feel free to leave a comment!

Amanda is currently a Junior at Florida State University. She is double majoring in Creative Writing and Media Communications and is oh-so excited about it. When she isn't trying to write poetry or read recommended books, Amanda finds herself on the internet doing absolutely nothing, or at any Mexican restaurant in Tallahassee munching on delicious salsa and chips. If you have any salsa that will blow her mind and taste buds, please let her know so that you can become life long friends. Amanda is not a cat person, but thoroughly enjoys cat memes.
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."