Disney Princesses In College: Don’t Discriminate—Explore Whole New Worlds!

^Serious business

Despite Princess Jasmine being cast in a film predominantly about the male leading role (how dare a street rat steal the spotlight?!), she is still a princess worthy of commemoration. She was the first princess from the Middle East, the first princess to own a pet tiger, and the first princess to rock a crop top without a care in the world.

It is no surprise that Jasmine kicks major butt. Running away from royal duties to go steal apples? Having sassy conversations with men? Denying marriage? Staying out past curfew to ride a magic carpet with a man she’s only known for two days?! Wow, talk about a princess living on the edge. I’m almost inspired to call my folks and tell them I’m running away with the guy I dated three weeks ago, and together, we shall find the Cave of Wonders! Or maybe I’ll be daring and just go down the tunnel by the Union at night (almost as creepy as the fictional Cave of Wonders, but I’m not sure if I will find treasures… or discarded trash).

If there is one crucial lesson that Jasmine has provided me during my college journeys (besides obtaining exotic pets like tigers, monkeys, and parrots…OH MY!), it is the following: Don’t discriminate—explore whole new worlds!

She can get it.

(FYI: I’ve been DYING to add that musical song/word play since I started typing this article).

As a princess in college, now is not the time to remain narrow-minded and cooped up in your castle forever (Rapunzel is next week’s lesson).  Whether you’re from a small village or a bustling metropolis, it can be intimidating for a princess to journey to a new place and try to meet all the different types of people in college. I understand the struggle to be diplomatic. I myself as a princess have at times wanted to either banish or curse some of the evil villains I’ve met on campus. However, you can’t just write people off based on their appearance, status, or even political ideology. Jasmine fell in love with a bonafide street rat, but were you really judging once you saw his amazing cartoon body and kind personality?

Jasmine could’ve remained sheltered and married a snooty suitor, and we would’ve never had brilliant musical numbers such as, “You Ain’t Never Had A Friend Like Me,” or “A Whole New World.”  No Prince Ali? No Arabian Nights? No Robin Williams?!  What a terrible movie. This is why Jasmine is a princess; she didn’t discriminate against Aladdin’s background, social status, or exaggerated MC Hammer pants. As a princess in college, we should all strive to look at the people in our lives with an open mind. Perhaps the reason we haven’t found our prince/princess is because we’ve discarded them all as street rats, or perhaps we don’t have as many friends because we weren’t really willing to take the chance and get on that dang magic carpet (however, it does look dangerous…no seatbelts?!).

It’s time to open up that metaphorical bird cage and explore! Go and date different people, attend different gatherings, open up more socially, and perhaps you’ll find that diamond in the rough. Princesses don’t discriminate; they take charge and meet different people. They go out on a thrilling chase and make this college a wondrous place….

“For youuuu and meeeeeee.”  *soft twinkling music plays in background*

Ok, I’ve really got to stop.

HAPPY ENDING+ROBIN WILLIAMS=DONE.

Disney Princesses in College is a series that explores the different princesses/females in Disney films, and how they apply to everyday life lessons in college. Have a princess you want featured in next week’s column? Feel free to comment/share your opinions! 

Amanda is currently a Junior at Florida State University. She is double majoring in Creative Writing and Media Communications and is oh-so excited about it. When she isn't trying to write poetry or read recommended books, Amanda finds herself on the internet doing absolutely nothing, or at any Mexican restaurant in Tallahassee munching on delicious salsa and chips. If you have any salsa that will blow her mind and taste buds, please let her know so that you can become life long friends. Amanda is not a cat person, but thoroughly enjoys cat memes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.