What a time to be a ‘Nole. Spring fever has hit Tallahassee and the baseball and softball teams have not disappointed. Though football season didn’t quite go as planned, (5-7 record, a 27-point loss to the Gators and blowing a lead to the Hurricanes, losing by one point . . . I digress) there is finally light at the end of the Seminole tunnel. After the first month of the 2019 season, Florida State is the only school in the nation with an undefeated baseball and softball team! The FSU softball team is walking into this season looking to defend the crown on their heads. Last year, the softball team took down many incredible giants to win their first national championship. So far, the ladies have passed the 20-win mark and have maintained their season-long number one ranking. Thus far, the softball team has knocked down notable teams like Ohio State, LSU, Minnesota and Tennessee. The 2019 ACC season play begins Mar. 15-17 when the ladies host Notre Dame, followed by a down-the-road showdown against FAMU. When do the Lady Seminoles play that school from Gainesville, you might ask? The Lady Seminoles head to Gainesville to face the Gators on Apr. 3 and the Gators come to Tallahassee on Apr. 17. However, this will not be an easy season for the Seminoles as it is extremely hard to secure back-to-back national championships. For now, though, it’s all right to ride on our high horse and brag on our national champs killing it at the start of this season. 

The FSU baseball team has a different motivation leading them through their early season success: Coach Mike Martin’s farewell season. Last season the guys in garnet and gold ended their postseason run with a loss in the regional round against the Mississippi State Bulldogs. Now, it looks like the guys have their eyes on the prize and aren’t planning on another early exit in the playoffs. Beginning March, the baseball team is ranked number seven in the nation with impressive sweeps over Maine, Youngstown State and Mercer. Again, you might ask, when do the Seminoles play that school from Gainesville? The three-game series begins in Gainesville on Mar. 12. On Mar. 26 the rivalry gets taken to the neutral site of Jacksonville, and on Apr. 26 the Gators come to Tallahassee. In Coach Mike Martin’s final season, the only appropriate way for the legend to retire from the Seminoles is with a national championship under his belt. With the way the guys are playing right now, they are giving themselves a chance to be in this year’s College World Series.  

We used to be a football school, but since fall didn’t go as planned, Florida State is chilling as a soccer, basketball, beach volleyball, baseball and softball school. The recent successes of the baseball and softball teams come from the incredible motivation guiding each team. This spring season is looking to be a great one for Seminole fans, especially on the diamonds this season.

Hi! My name is Erika LeFlouria and I am a senior studying Media Communications at Florida State University. I am that out-of-state girl from Tennessee(yee-haw). When I am not watching sports, you can probably catch me reading a good book or looking for my next adventure!
Her Campus at Florida State University.