In Defense of Florida State University

Source: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/fa/01/43/fa014386c15ff60a1840ada301cd7737.jpg

As Florida State University finds itself in the national media once again due to Jameis Winston drama, I can’t help but feel a twinge of anger as I read some of the ridiculous comments that people have been making about it (and I know some of them may or may not be trolls, but my point still stands). Comments such as: “I’m SO glad I didn’t send my kids to that university, even if they did both have a scholarship there!” or “What a joke of a university; it’s trash, just like the people who go there.” To the skeptics sitting behind the computer screen: this is where you’re completely wrong.

Source: http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f266/wiccamoon/Picture570.png

Our three-word rule-of-thumb here at Florida State University proclaims, “Vires, Artes, Mores – Strength, Skill and Character;” I will forever be a firm believer that the FSU student body and all of its alumni carry these values with them in their everyday lives and believe that our administration holds these values close to them as well. Aside from the other ridiculous situations that Winston has been involved with recently (crab legs, the FHRITP fiasco, etc.), the allegations made about him from 2012 are majorly disconcerting in nature and should be addressed, seeing as one in four college women have reported being a victim of rape or attempted rape at some point in their lifetime. As more and more reports unfold on what seems to be a constant basis, it’s clear that there’s a lot more to be said and done before we’re all sure of what to think or say.

There is one thing that I am sure of, though.

I won’t let this situation or other people who know absolutely nothing about this university define me or any of my peers as a Florida State Seminole. This is unfortunately my last year as a student here at FSU, and I’ve had the pleasure of seeing this incredible university grow more and more as time goes on. Our university is not a joke, but a privilege to attend (as it is a privilege to attend any form of higher education). We are one of the nation’s top research universities. We have numerous and outstanding nationally and internationally ranked programs that produce some of the finest educators, artists, scientists, lawyers – you name it. We, as voices of a new generation, are lucky enough to be located in the capital of Florida, where we have the opportunity to be the voice for political change. We also, contrary to popular belief, have an absolutely remarkable advocate program that genuinely cares about the well-being of its students. Florida State University is the place where I (and many others) have become the unique and successful individuals that we are today. I’m constantly surrounded by interesting, funny, good-natured human beings who have a lot to offer to the world. This beautiful school has taught me to follow my dreams and goals, to help people, to conquer problems on my own and still have the confidence to ask questions, and has given me a deeper understanding of life and adulthood that I will be grateful for as long as I live. And for the parents who say they would never let their children go here, you sure are making them miss out on a wonderful opportunity. We are all more than the sum of one person’s mistakes.

Source: Instagram (@haleighannelove)

Haleigh is a 22 year old college student who is slowly but surely getting closer and closer to graduating from the beautiful Florida State University (in May, to be exact). With a love for puppies that's almost too much to handle at times and a slight obsession with sushi, Haleigh is passionate about all things cute and fun, with a hint of sass. Go Noles!
Her Campus at Florida State University.