Debunking the Myth: Short Girls and the Perfect Pair of Jeans

Hello! I’m back, yes it’s true! Here to entertain you with another fun, witty, snazzy, insider look into the hottest fashion trends. Last week, I regaled you with the tantalizing tale of Dressing for Your Authentic Self. Now, I’m back with another hard-hitting story covering the most controversial of topics. I’m here to uncover the mystery surrounding short girls and the biggest struggle we know: finding the right pair of jeans.

Courtesy: Amanda Edleman

My face when picking between two pairs of jeans

Trust me, it’s the most difficult of situations. It’s tricky, it’s time consuming, it can seem fruitless at times. We want to throw our hands up in surrender after trying out countless options that just don’t pass the test, but trust me the hard work is worth it in the end.

You know how tall girls can never find jeans long enough? How they always seem to end at, or just above, their ankle? Short girls deal with the opposite of issue on the regular. As I sit here, I feel every short girl’s pain when looking down at my corgi style legs and the rolled up mess at end of my jeans. They’re double rolled to create the illusion of style, and will end up ruffled and uneven by the end of the day.

Courtesy: Amanda Edelman

Short girls get shorter chairs

Now you might be asking yourself, why do I care? You might not and that’s okay. All I’m asking is that you extend a bit of sympathy to the girls 5 feet 3 and under. This is personal for me, as I stand at a tiny 4 feet 10 inches and a half, not even tall enough to claim an even five feet. It might seem benign, boring even. You could roll your eyes and claim there are much more important topics to discuss in the world of fashion consciousness; you could be covering the search for sustainable materials in an imported market or fair-trade brands, or how to combat the societally constructed gender norms that perpetuate our fair land. To that I say: all in good time my friends. Today I want to talk about finding the right pair of jeans and what that entails when you fall on the shorter side of the height scale. My go-to jean staples are as follows:

Forever 21

I got a pair of jeans from there over the summer. They’re soft as butter and a cool blue acidic wash; something I’ve always been hesitant to try. I purchased them resigned that I would have to roll them up in order to achieving the picture-perfect length my tiny chicken legs desire. Until my mom said something so simple yet groundbreaking: “Why don’t we cut them to the length you want?”

And so, the love affair began. I wore these jeans almost every day, through park adventures, dusty mountain hikes and curled up in the back seat on long car rides. Jeans were usually never as good as sweatpants in my eyes, but these were somehow better. I wore them jumping over rock-laden rushing rivers, falling and tearing a tiny, now expanding, hole in the knee. This is my love letter to those $12.00 jeans. Can’t you see the novel now? Girl falls in love with the perfect pair of jeans: an epic romance. I wouldn’t be the first girl to truly fall for a piece of clothing.

Courtesy: Amanda Edelman

Topshop

I’m partial to their Leigh jeans: Length 28. I’ve never found a pair, having only heard of this magical brand. My tried and true Topshop pair is a handy 30 inch length and while not perfect, they were the first pair I felt at home in, and that’s important. Girls ranging from my sister Hannah to Selena Gomez seem to prefer the Jamie style jeans, but they’re not soft enough for my taste. Up to your own discretion here but trust me, they’re worth the investment.

That’s about it for this time. Thanks for going on this perilous journey with me, I appreciate the company. So, next time you’re frustrated when jean shopping, know that the right pair is in reach. It just takes a little more searching for the humans who are comparable size-wise to elementary school kids, but we look cute as heck when we find that perfect pair.

Courtesy: Google

How you’ll look once you find the perfect pair of jeans: unstoppable, glamorous and too good for paparazzi pictures

Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a Creative Writing major with an affinity for take-your-breath-away-sentences. I also like solid 80s rock jams and blogging about my feelings. I'm constantly hopeful I can one day escape to the moon. For now, I'm enjoying attending a wonderfully diverse school and take pride in my beautiful group of friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.