photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Dear Outfits of Thanksgivings Past

Dear past outfits,

I thank you for remaining tried and true through a strenuous holiday. You housed my body and made me feel comfy while my extended family invaded our house and gathered around a table, wanting food and drinks. Thanksgiving (barring all historically violent connotations) is my favorite holiday. I love sitting down with family; tucking into a giant bowl of sweet-potatoes, leaning my head on my mom’s shoulder when dessert is served and I’m so stuffed I don’t want to move. We don’t celebrate Christmas; we don’t all don velvet outfits and pose by a fire. No silly coordinating family outfits. Somehow, over time, Thanksgiving has become our shining moment to dress up and take pictures as a family. It evolved gradually, really.

November 08, we gathered around my grandfather, hugging him, talking, unaware as my dad stood in the corner taking pictures. My grandfather had recently been diagnosed with cancer, and we weren’t sure how long he had. We cherish those pictures today. All of us, a full family, smiling at each other around a table, has become my favorite time of the year. 

I’ve recently looked back at old Thanksgiving Day pictures and was shocked to see how festive we all looked and how much collective plaid or dark colors my family wore.

Courtesy: Amanda Edelman

Thanksgiving two years ago.

Last year I wore a swinging azure dress with a lace up front. It was movable, a deep blue color and had lacey goddess sleeves. My favorite so far.

The year before, I wore a plaid shirt and sweater combo that seemed like a sparkling idea. It was cozy, functional and able to handle lots of food thanks to the comfy leggings I paired with it.

Another confession: I never really put much thought into holiday outfits. Thanksgiving tends to be our one big hullaballoo celebration. (That and Hanukkah, I guess.) As this Thanksgiving Day approaches, I reflect on all that I’m thankful for. First, having a medium that affords me the opportunity to express my thoughts; like how wonderfully cozy cranberry colored sweaters are, and how sunsets that fall in an array of oranges and pinks are so beautiful. Is there anything in the enticing world of fashion that inspires gratitude within you? Mine: the festive clothes that shops start displaying once Halloween passes.

I can’t wait to see what we put together next.

Happy Holidays,

Amanda

Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a Creative Writing major with an affinity for take-your-breath-away-sentences. I also like solid 80s rock jams and blogging about my feelings. I'm constantly hopeful I can one day escape to the moon. For now, I'm enjoying attending a wonderfully diverse school and take pride in my beautiful group of friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.