Dear Mel,

Guess what?! You survive and thrive at Florida State University AND you graduate a semester early. Did you follow the path you expected? Absolutely not, but everything works out.

This journey starts in June 2019 in Landis Hall. Friends were made, economics were learned and sharing a bathroom with people who aren’t your family was hard. You got locked out of our bathroom multiple times and experienced being the third wheel truly for the first time. Summer C and easy classes fled and the traumas of Intro to Actuarial Science began.

Math was easy in high school but boy, math was extremely hard in college. For those who don’t know what actuarial science is, in simple terms, it’s math for insurance. Lots of time was spent in Strozier attempting to understand what was happening and we developed a new love for Starbucks’ everything bagels. We still managed to have a lot of fun! You saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show and had over 50 people come to your birthday party when you turned 18. While the excitement of friends was motivating, getting 40s on exams wasn’t. As an outlet, we began a blog and ultimately switched to the College of Business in the spring.

Spring 2020 was incredible until we all got sent home because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Classes were easy, we were making more friends and were diving into the true FSU college experience. Our extended spring break wasn’t three weeks, more like two years. Everything changed. If you weren’t already a germaphobe, you became one. Masks were up and moods were down. You got a job at the Orlando Science Center as a camp counselor. The seasons all blended and your sophomore year of college started! We lived in an apartment and it was kind of a sh*t show. But you grew and flourished especially within Her Campus. You had a voice, edited and became a graphics guru. One of the biggest shocks of sophomore year was getting a boyfriend. It was long distance and short-lived with life-long lessons. If that wasn’t the best way to end our second year, you got the Graphics Chair position for the following year with Her Campus (so much cooler than a stupid boy)!

Enter junior year in College Town. Friends are great but being forced to become friends with your roommates was even better. Junior year was a time for lots of growth and experiences of all sorts. You interned at Lockheed Martin and at FSU’s faculty department. You also discovered tailgating and became friends with our frat neighbors. You made it to the balcony of our neighbor’s house and looked down on all the cars on Pensacola St. The biggest surprise of junior year, even more shocking than dating, is that you became a cat person. Reggie brings you lots of happiness and sometimes frustration. Especially when it’s 4 a.m. and she knocks down everything from every surface.

In the spring, you were in for a whirlwind. Lots of drama and friends were made and they were also lost. You even went on an all-inclusive trip to New Orleans as a frat formal date with our friend. Our advisor also told you that you could graduate early. You were hesitant at first but ultimately decided one fewer finals season would be incredible. Also, classes are going great, you decided to become a marketing major and love every second of it!

In your last semester of college, things started off rocky. But the dust settled and you’re ready to walk across the stage and shake President McCullough’s hand. The Student Union finally opened, and you secured a job at the bowling alley. You actually went to a home football game by the end of the season. You’re back to editing for Her Campus. You finally find your people. You cried a lot.

And guess what? It all works out! You learned a lot in college and have made a lifetime’s worth of memories. After graduation, you’re going home with the security of having a subletter and even better, a job! Growing up in Orlando, Disney had a huge impact on your life and now you’ll be able to make an impact working at Disney in marketing.

Even though this three-and-a-half-year roller coaster is coming to an end, you’re ready for the next chapter. When you don’t think life is going your way, it will. It all works out in the end.

Love,

Mel

P.S. LOL! You cut your own bangs three times but don’t do it again.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, I'm Melissa! I'm a Junior at Florida State University. I'm originally from Orlando and like mac n cheese, art and Disney. I enjoy playing with my hyperactive American Eskimo and hanging out with my friends and binge-watching reality tv!