Deanna Sand: Career Center Ambassador

Name: Deanna Sand

Age: 19

Major: IT and Communications

Hometown: Jupiter, FL

Relationship Status: Single

Courtesy: Deanna Sand

Her Campus (HC): Currently, what is your dream job?

Deanna Sand (DS): Currently my dream job would probably be to work for either Tumblr or Google. Originally I wanted to work in publishing but after randomly looking at jobs and their descriptions on both the Google and Tumblr websites, I instantly fell in love. Since I’m majoring in both IT and Communication these jobs have the perfect mix, communication at IT-esq companies.

HC: Personally knowing you, I know you love New York. What’s the attraction?

DS: My whole family is from New York and I feel like I’ve visited at least once a year. I guess I like how there’s constantly something going on. Growing up in Jupiter, everything was closed by 10 o’clock and there’s not much to do even when things are open, just the beach and I’ve never been a big beach person. This summer my friend and I were walking around simply enjoying the weather, when we came across a random Etsy party underneath the Brooklyn Bridge, with free DIY projects to do. It’s just nice to know that you’ll never be bored.

HC: What are some things you are involved in on campus or some things you want to get involved in?

DS: Currently, I’m very involved in the FSU Career Center, where I am an Ambassador and the Marketing Lead. Essentially, I work with my fellow ambassadors to promote, market and raise awareness about the career center, ranging from what services we offer like résumé critiquing, mock interviews to assisting with career events. I’m also involved in the College of Communication and Information Leadership board where we work to make improvements to the college.

HC: Who do you consider to be your biggest inspiration and why?

DS: That’s a though one but I would have to say my grandfather. My grandpa is one of those people who is super sweet and will always be there for you, but is absolutely unafraid of telling you the hard truth when you need to hear it. I think he’s such an inspiration to me because of the circumstances he overcame to get where he is today. Having been born in Cuba, my grandfather came to the US with his wife and 2 daughters, not a penny to their name. He worked hard day in and day out to support his family and made sure they were never left without what they needed.

Courtesy: Deanna Sand

HC: I know you absolutely love going to concerts. Tell us some of your favorite artists and concert experiences.

DS: Hmm, I don’t think I could give you my favorite artist ever because it literally switches from week to week, but as of right now I’m loving Troye Sivan! As for concerts, I recently attended my second Zedd concert and it was amazing. More than a concert, it was an experience, definitely at the top of my list.

HC: Okay, last but not least. What kind of advice do you have for the freshman on campus?

DS: Advice for freshman, there’s so much but I would say one of the most important things is making sure you come out of your shell and try everything at least twice. Just because an experience is bad the first time doesn’t mean it will be the second time. Don’t think you’re too cool for anything or that something sounds lame, just try it, worst case, you don’t like it and never go again. Best case, you meet your best friend and have the time of your life!

Student at Florida State. Lover of fashion and everything sarcastic. Aspiring magazine editor.
Her Campus at Florida State University.