Culture > News

Dean Resigns Over Decision to Drop Chick-fil-a

Cynthia Newman has resigned from the position of Dean of Rider University’s College of Business. She will continue to work as a member of faculty within the university. This decision to resign comes after Rider University decided to remove Chick-fil-a from a list of potential restaurants for the campus.

Courtesy: Philly Voice  

Rider University is a private university located in New Jersey. The university is home to around 5,000 students.

Rider University was looking to expand food options for students on campus. After a survey that was released to students, Chick-fil-a was one of the top choices to move on campus. Rider University removed Chick-fil-a from this list due to the restaurant’s anti-LGBTQ+ sentiments. Rider University acknowledged that in the past, Chick-fil-a has not been welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community. The university made the decision that bringing the popular fast-food chain onto their campus would send an unwelcoming message to Rider’s LGBTQ+ community.

Chick-fil-a has been documented donating millions of dollars to different organizations that oppose same-sex marriage. Their chief operating officer has publicly spoken out about his dislike for same-sex marriage.

Newman has identified herself as “a very committed Christian” and felt offended by Rider’s decision. Newman stated in the university paper that the university made a “judgmental statement about Chick-fil-a’s values — values that reflect the essence of the Christian as well as other faiths” (CNN).  She asked that the university administration release an apology to those who identified as Christian for being offensive towards their beliefs.

Chick-fil-a did not remain silent through the decision. CNN reached out to the restaurant chain for a comment on the situation. They responded, “Chick-fil-A is a restaurant company focused on food, service and hospitality, and our restaurants and licensed locations on college campuses welcome everyone. We have no policy of discrimination against any group, and we do not have a political or social agenda. More than 145,000 people from different backgrounds and beliefs represent the Chick-fil-A brand” (CNN).

Rider’s administration expected some backlash and questioning from students. The administration released a statement to the faculty instructing them on how to respond to these questions without apologizing. This was the moment when Newman had enough. She stated, “I am not willing to compromise my faith and Christian values and I will not be viewed as being in any way complicit when an affront is made to those values” (Huff Post).

Rider University is standing by its decision. Kristine Brown, a spokeswoman from Rider, commented “choosing an on-campus restaurant franchise was in no way a judgment on religious values. Rather, our intention was to foster a sense of respect and belonging of all members of the campus community” (Huff Post).

Newman has since returned to her faculty position and confirmed her resignation.  She had served as the Dean of the College of Business since June 2017. Rider respects her decision but continues to stand by its decision. Newman has released a video interview with Campus Reform, a conservative advocacy group.

Her Campus at Florida State University.