Onion Browning
Onion Browning
Alex Frank / Spoon

A Day in the Life of a College Student Without a Meal Plan

I think It’s pretty safe to say that being in college means missing the luxury of having meals prepared by your parents. FYI  Parents: all hungry college students appreciate you a little more now. 

I began my first term at FSU in the Summer, and I was able to scope out the dining hall scene quickly enough to realize it wasn’t for me.  I wasn’t too fond of the reality of having pizza and chicken tenders often.  I wanted to be able to make meals that I enjoyed.  That was mistake number one.  What I didn’t realize was that the Fall semester’s workload would not compare to Summer’s.  It became more intense considering the addition of people and the overall busyness of the campus.  With classes and work, it seemed almost impossible to make time to cook meals.  Since it’s Spring semester, I’d like to think I have the hang of it now.  So, I’ve decided to document what a realistic “day in my life” would look like without a meal plan in college.

Drain Pasta
Alex Frank / Spoon

Thursday’s begin pretty late for me and yet, I still woke up around 8:30 a.m.  I got ready and headed to the Sweet Shop which sounds like a candy store but unfortunately isn’t.  I ordered an egg, sausage and cheese croissant.  It’s a popular request among their customers, so it was undoubtedly good.  Because a mini “storm” decided to walk through Tallahassee, I left in a bit of a hurry. I got a little hungry again around 11 a.m. so I snacked on some Girl Scout cookies (Samoas, obviously).  I didn’t want a full meal, so those definitely did the job.  Because the storm was approaching, FSU canceled classes.  I decided to take advantage of the free time and get some classwork done. By the time I was done, it was 3:oo p.m. so it was definitely time for me to eat again.  I don’t know why I thought cauliflower rice would be a nice late lunch, but I did.  So I headed to the kitchen with my pan and spices and made myself some cauliflower rice.  And yes, I’m well aware that this isn’t your typical college meal.  I try my hardest to keep my meals somewhat healthy, even though it’s extremely hard, especially when it’s late and I’d rather just buy something quick without thinking twice about it.  Fast forward to 8:00 p.m. and the itch to just buy something kicks in.  As I begin to order something to eat on Postmates, I read that no restaurants are delivering due to the weather conditions.  I sighed.  So up I went and decided to cook something.  I looked at my options and I knew I wanted something filling but not something I had to break my brain to make.  Rice, chicken, and vegetables seemed like a good idea.  Back to the kitchen I went and made my meal.  It was pretty good if I say so myself.  I didn’t eat anything else for the rest of the night except maybe, or maybe not, a row of Samoas.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Yumarlis, Yumi for short, is a First-Generation college student from Miami, FL majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media at Florida State University. Aside from writing for Her Campus, you can find Yumi studying at the library or watching Netflix. There's no in-between.
Her Campus at Florida State University.