Danielle Gavish: On the Road to the Red Carpet

Name: Danielle Gavish

Age: 20

Hometown: Boca Raton, FL

Year: Junior

Major(s): Theatre and Media Communication Studies 

Courtesy: Danielle Gavish

Her Campus (HC): Lets start with a fun question. What’s your ideal date? 

Danielle Gavish (DG): Well in an ideal world, we’d be in New York City. We’d start the night at a rooftop bar, obviously go see a taping of The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, stroll through the city, and grab some casual Thai food at around 2 am. Ideally. 

HC: So you’re very passionate about performing. When did you know you wanted to go into this? 

DG: My mom says she knew I was meant for this since I was a baby. Since I can remember, I’ve always gotten the most joy out of entertaining people. Whether it was theatre, dance, or telling jokes. I get such a sense of comfort out of it. I know this is what I’m meant to do because I genuinely cannot see myself doing anything else. Knowing that I can create a career out of making a difference in other people’s lives while still fulfilling my own happiness gives me all the motivation I need. Oh man, that was so cheesy.

HC: Tell me a little about your performance background before college! 

DG: Before college I was highly involved in theatre throughout the South Florida community. I spent all 4 years of high school heavily involved in my school’s theatre troupe (shoutout 6760), competed and organized district and state wide festivals, was a counselor at a theatre camp and so many other performance things. But I swear theatre was cool at my school!! 

HC: Why theater? 

DG: Because it’s the bomb [laughs]. Where else can you create this thing that was just an idea in someone’s head and than see it come to life and become its own thing. You also learn a lot about yourself through theatre.

HC: Talk about your plans to travel abroad next summer. 

DG: My sister (Hi Avital) and I are planning on backpacking Europe next summer. We’re hoping to go on Birthright, which is program that offers a free trip to Israel, and than hop on over to Europe since we’re already on that side of the world. I’ve spent most of my college career focusing on internships, involvement, and “getting ahead,” so I figured for my last summer as a student, I had to do something like this for myself. I mean, when else am I going to have three months to do whatever I want and have nothing holding me down? We have a few places we’ve both agreed are “must visits” but we’re also open to suggestions, so feel free to help a sista out if you have any recommendations!

HC: What are you involved with here at Florida State?

DG: I’ve been one of the hosts of University Update and Florida Statements on 4FSU at WFSU (Comcast channel 4) since sophomore year. I’ve done a few things with Ellipsis, which used to be called the Student Theatre Association. There is so much student work being made which is awesome. It’s students taking their creativity into their own hands and putting on whichever performances they want. We have such talented and creative students at FSU. I’ve also had a few internships in the Tallahassee area at radio stations and local film companies.

HC: Do you have plans after graduation?

DG: I’m really craving the big city lifestyle, so that’s where I’m headed. My internships in radio and TV have made me fall hard for that business so getting a job in either field is the plan. I interned at iHeart Media in West Palm Beach this past summer and it further confirmed my need to be in the field. It was a blast and a half.

HC: What are your ultimate career goals?

DG: My all-time dream is to host my own talk show, whether it be radio or TV. I look up to people like Elvis Duran, Jimmy Fallon, Lisa Ling, Ellen, and of course, the big O, Oprah. It’s a platform that allows you to talk about things people are (or maybe aren’t) wanting to talk about. You can introduce new thoughts or topics that people maybe never thought about. Plus, how cool would it be to have your own personal walk-out song?

HC: And last but not least, is there a quote you live by? 

DG: “Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good.” – Mr. Feeny 

Her Campus at Florida State University.