DACA, From the Viewpoint of an Immigrant’s Child

This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU.

In the United States, there is a certain type of home decor. On the walls, we place portraits and signs – things to make us and our guests feel welcome and comfortable. By the wooden door is a plastic rectangle that sprouts the beautifully decorated word “welcome.” In the Spanish language, the term for welcome is bienvenido which translates to, “good, come” or “welcome.” In the country where my parents come from there is a tradition: when a person comes into your home, you offer them coffee or bread and only after they have drank from your cup and  eaten from your kitchen  are you to ask them who they are. In the United States, our welcome mats do not apply to all.

Under the Trump administration, the rhetoric surrounding immigration has been unpleasant. Many of Trump’s speeches leading up to his election last fall have been in an attempt to paint illegal immigrants as violent, corrupt, and un-American. The word “illegals” has been coined to describe people who seek opportunities in a new world. The repercussions of this foul rhetoric has reached new heights with the recent attempt to destroy the DACA program. The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA) was created under the Obama administration and grants opportunities for illegitimate youth to work and be protected against deportation. The destruction of this program is inhuman and will displace thousands of children and adults. The fact is that these Dreamers do not take jobs away from legal citizens. According to the Washington Post, “There is just no compelling proof that immigration—legal or illegal — ‘squeezes out native-born workers in any systematic way,’” [Douglas] Holtz-Eakin said. “We’ve experienced waves of immigration and still, on average, reached full employment.” Furthermore, the DACA program has alleviated the fear of being deported from 95% of its applicants. The truth is an influx of immigrants actually helps the economy; bringing more educated workers increases productivity which increases overall capital. These Dreamers also pay taxes, over $2 billion in state and local taxes according to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy. Most Dreamers are people like you and me. They could be walking along side you on campus, tutoring you at the writing center, or helping you find something in a store. They are mothers, fathers, daughters, and sons. They only want to live in peace, and work alongside us.

Courtesy: New York Immigration Coalition

There is no crime in being born, there is no crime in living off a world that is meant to nourish us. People create and destroy borders. Immigration did not begin recently; people have been immigrating to other countries in search of a better life for centuries. As people we must understand and appreciate each other regardless of race or region. We should celebrate each other’s accomplishments and relish in the joy of what we have done. We should open our doors and our hearts, regardless of the color of the hand that knocks on it. Our welcome mats should be more than simply décor.

Lyndon B. Johnson once said, “The land flourished because it was fed from so many sources —because it was nourished by so many cultures and traditions and peoples.” If you would like to defend DACA, text “RESIST” to “50409” to speak to your local representatives on keeping the DACA program.

Second year student at Florida State University, Creative Writing major, poetry and people is my passion.
Her Campus at Florida State University.