Style > Beauty

Why This Beauty Influencer Is Getting Cancelled, and What It Could Mean for Others

TikTok, infamous for selling out the newest beauty products and finding the best good eats, has done it once again—and this time with a new mascara. And before you ask, no, this is not the mascara wand trend. The latest and greatest L’oreal Telescopic Lift Mascara has swept the platform, resulting in thousands of beauty reviews judging whether it’s worth the hype.

With nearly 14.5 million followers, Mikayla Nogueira, one of the biggest beauty influencers on the platform, hopped on the trend to try the product out. However, in her review, she initially neglected to make it apparent that she was partnering in a paid campaign with L’oreal, only later adding the ‘paid partnership’ tag at the bottom of the video. At first glance, the review appears to uphold the integrity of the product that got it popular to begin with, with Nogueira’s eyelashes noticeably enhanced. Nogueira’s positive commentary and shocked reaction certainly gave other brands a run for their money, considering her massive following and influence. 

However, users were quick to point out an enhanced appearance in Nogueira’s lash length in the final cut of the video, leading viewers to believe she added false lashes to increase sales. With an angry comment section in her video, Nogueira denied her use of false lashes, claiming she added additional coats of mascara, as an explanation for the difference in length. This fueled the flames of a growing controversy, leading to an outpour of stitches slandering not only Nogueira, but the beauty influencer industry as a whole. Many users expressed frustration with the lack of transparency and the corruption behind product reviews in exchange for earning higher amounts of money. Although Nogueira is likely not the first to glorify a product more than it might deserve, the incident has earned her a whopping 52 million views and created upheaval on the systemic issues of the industry. 

Amidst the controversy, Jeffree Star, a former beauty product Youtuber, announced his return to the site in response to the paid campaign scandal. Star’s announcement featured a promise of honest reviewing, serving as a direct attack on Nogueira’s integrity and credibility, further intensifying the spotlight on the creator. Known for his refusal to sell out to partnerships, Star’s announcement sparked excitement for those demanding change within the industry. Although Star formerly had questionable allegations regarding his personal life that concerned fans, many creators in the beauty community agree on his credibility with makeup reviews due to how long he’s been in the industry.

Although the long-term impact of getting canceled on TikTok doesn’t usually pull its full weight in affecting creators with large followings, losing trust in an influencer does leave room for attention to shift. So, the incident gives other beauty creators a chance to increase their following by being honest about products and avoiding exploiting their platforms. Additionally, the scandal will likely create more pressure on creators to be vigilant about their camera angles, lighting and even their possible attempts to trick viewers!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Paige McGuinn is a second year student at FSU studying Communication/Media Studies and Business. She loves writing about current events, pop culture and trends. With a passion for female empowerment, she is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus community!