Lady Gaga Joanne
Lady Gaga Joanne
Rebecca McCandless

What We Know About Lady Gaga’s New Album

Last week, I scrolled through Instagram to pass some spare time. One post stopped me dead in my tracks and caught my attention: a low-contrast, black-and-white photo of singer-songwriter and actress Lady Gaga sitting beside a piano keyboard. The post was uploaded to the singer’s page on Feb. 9 with the caption, “Tik tok tik tok.” I knew this could only mean one thing: new music. I was gagged.

Gaga’s most recent solo album release was Chromatica in 2020, and fans have been on the edge of their seats for new music from her since then. Between then and now, she’s released a collaborative album with late jazz crooner Tony Bennett in 2021, and she’s credited throughout the soundtrack for the film Top Gun: Maverick. However, another solo album is what many fans have been waiting for, and Gaga hasn’t been shy in teasing her new music on social media.

So one thing is clear: new music is on the way. Naturally, fans are already beginning to speculate what may be in store for Gaga’s next album, which is currently referred to as “LG7.” On her teaser post captioned “Tik tok tik tok,” singer-songwriter Kesha left a comment saying, “READY MOTHER.” See where I’m going with this one? While Gaga’s caption could simply be implying that the countdown to her new music is underway, it’s quite a coincidence for Kesha to leave a comment, considering her 2009 debut single “TiK ToK.” Perhaps we can expect a collaboration coming soon?

As for the genre of Gaga’s album, fans are speculating. On Feb. 14, she dropped yet another Instagram teaser captioned, “No I’m not making a rock album.” This only left fans more confused. Many aren’t sure if the caption is true or sarcastic, and there seem to be mixed feelings about a potential rock album amongst fans. There’s still public discourse regarding the lingering controversy over Gaga’s most recent releases, and LG7 is already garnering some of those same sentiments on social media. While some love the artist’s recent shift towards jazz and soft rock, others have publicly expressed their longing for the club-pop of her earlier years.

Chromatica and Gaga’s other most recent solo album, Joanne (2016), received mixed reviews from fans. Chromatica was generally well-received and given positive reviews. Some loved Joanne‘s heartfelt lyrics and acoustic feel, while others said it wasn’t the music they expected to hear from her.

In light of her impending album, fans are split between wanting to hear more of Gaga’s early pop style or something fresh that takes on a new one. They have speculated the album to be anything from pop or country to folk or heavy metal. Gaga is known for moving effortlessly between genres, even within one album. Whatever style her new music takes on, I have no doubts that she will deliver.

There’s no clear information about when to expect Lady Gaga’s new album or what’s in store for fans. As for myself, I’ll be keeping a close eye on her Instagram. At the rate she’s been dropping teasers, I’m sure we’ll have more information on what to expect from LG7 soon.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on  Facebook and follow us on  Instagram,  Twitter, TikTok, and  Pinterest!

Thea is a junior at Florida State University pursuing a major in English (Editing, Writing, and Media) and a minor in education. She loves listening to all genres of music and spending time outdoors.