Girls, it’s happening again. Our favorite celebrity crush, Jordan Fisher, just got the lead in yet another musical. Starting Nov. 20, Fisher will be taking on the role of Orpheus in the musical Hadestown. He is assuming the role after Reeve Carney from the original Broadway cast leaves. And let’s just say, people are… talking. But let’s back up real quick. Before we get into that, here’s a quick summary of Fisher’s (major) roles. 

If you were a Gen Z kid, you knew Jordan Fisher. We have Disney Channel to thank for that. Fisher made his Disney debut in 2013 with the role of Seacat in Teen Beach Movie. In the same year as the movie’s sequel, Fisher landed a recurring role on Liv and Maddie. He played Holden Dippledorf, Liv’s adorable bandmate/love interest. Fisher starred in Work It alongside Disney star Sabrina Carpenter. In To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You, Fisher played the adorably awkward love interest, John Ambrose McClaren. Believe me, the trend isn’t lost on me, either. 

Fisher made his first step toward the theatre realm in Fox’s production of Grease: Live. He played Doody, singing “Those Magic Changes.” In Rent: Live, another Fox production, Fisher played Mark Cohen. 

Now, on to Broadway. Fisher’s Broadway debut was in 2016 as John Laurens/Phillip Hamilton in Hamilton. After a little less than a year, Fisher moved on from Hamilton to do a smaller Broadway workshop. Before long, he landed the role of Evan Hansen in Dear Evan Hansen. It’s important to note that Evan is, as expected, an awkward yet lovable love interest. This past June, Fisher took his final bow as Anthony Hope in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

And that brings us here: to the announcement of Fisher’s Orpheus takeover. In the musical, Orpheus is supposed to be a precious singer who you can’t help but root for. He’s a little awkward, especially when pursuing Eurydice, but you want their relationship to succeed. With his past roles in mind, it’s hard to not think that Fisher is perfect for the role. 

However, some Broadway fans aren’t that happy with the new casting. In a TikTok comment, one user posted, “Love Jordan. But like vocally speaking does he have the insane falsetto Orpheus needs?” His vocal abilities aren’t the fans’ only worries. Some have called the decision “stunt casting,” essentially complaining that the company is only casting him for his fame. One of the biggest problems with stunt casting is that it virtually ignores any other prospective Broadway stars. It’s basically a casting director’s way of saying, “Yes, other talent exists. But I know and trust this person, so others don’t get a chance.” There is absolutely nothing wrong with casting the best person suited for the role, so long as you have actually explored other potentials. 

That said, some loyal fans still have Fisher’s back on the matter, claiming that it is not stunt casting if he’s perfect for the part. Either way, Nov. 20 will be interesting. Fans will see Orpheus, for the first time, in a different light.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok, and Pinterest!

Mikaela Georgi is a freshman at FSU. She is an editor for Her Campus. Currently, she is seeking a BA in Theatre with a double major in English. Though this is her first year working with Her Campus, she loves the newspaper. She had a satire column that gave dating advice. She was also the Copy Editor, and she ensured that each article was up to the newspaper’s standards. When she’s not writing an article, you can most likely find her on a stage somewhere or fueling her caffeine addiction: two activities she deems equal in importance. She loves acting, directing, and playwriting. She’s also made it a goal to find all the best parks and greenery for reading YA romance in Tallahassee. It’s going well so far. She’s determined to make every song she loves a karaoke song, and right now she's probably petting a cat somewhere.