Coachella has historically always had a diverse mix of artists since 2018. However, this year’s 2023 festival is significant because it is the first time one of the headliners was a Spanish language artist, alongside several other epic Latino sets.

Bad Bunny

The iconic Puerto Rican artist, Bad Bunny (aka Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio), was the first Latino artist solo headliner at Coachella in history. He first performed at the festival in 2019, when his career was just starting to kick off. This past weekend, he played a two-hour set with all of his hits, such as “Callaíta,” “Yo Perreo Sola,” and “Después De La Playa.” He also highlighted this big accomplishment by saying, “My head is spinning. It’s incredible to see the list of all the other artists that have performed on this stage. So many of them, but no one like me. It’s the first time Ocasio has closed the festival. It may be the first time, but perhaps not the last time.”

Bad Bunny gave a show-stopping and personal performance, engaging with fans, giving heartfelt speeches, having fantastic choreography, and singing about the heartbreak of recovering from lost love. He also curated his set design, outfits, and song choices to reflect his upbringing, which featured colorful visuals.

He also had several special guests, such as a surprise performance with Post Malone of an acoustic version of “La Canción” that is blowing up all over TikTok.

Becky G

This year was the Mexican-American artist, Becky G’s, first time having a solo performance at Coachella. She had one of the most memorable shows, paying tribute to her Latin roots and inviting surprise guests. After performing “Fulanito,” “Cuando Te Besé” and “Bailé Con Mi Ex,” she was joined by the Mexican band,  Marca MP, to sing “Ya Acabó.” Following them, she had Jesús Ortiz Paz of Fuerza Regida come up to sing “Te Quiero Besar,” and the romantic cumbia-grupera song, “Bebe Dame.”

Fans went wild when Becky G’s third surprise guest was up-and-coming Peso Pluma to sing their collaboration, “Chanel.” Peso Pluma is the first regional Mexican performer to have been in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 and is on a rapid rise to fame. 

The last of the surprise guests was Natti Natasha and the duo sang “Sin Pijama” and shared a friendly kiss after performing together. Becky G closed her set with her iconic “MAMIII,” and her first hit single, “Shower.” 

Kali Uchis

Colombian-American songwriter,  Kali Uchis, delivered a spectacular show. She opened with her hit “Telepatía,” which earned her first No. 1 on the Hot Latin Song charts. Her performance featured surprise guests Tyler the Creator  for their Flower Boy collab of “See You Again,” with Omar Apollo for “Worth the Wait,” and her significant other, Don Toliver, for “Fantasy.” Uchis also gave fans a sneak peek of her upcoming Latin album, Red Moon in Venus, with an unreleased song. 

@kaliuchis

My first time singing this unreleased song 100% written by me🤍thank u

♬ original sound – Kali Uchis
Latin Power Couple: Rauw Alejandro and Rosalía

The captivating Catalan singer, Rosalía, showed off her new fiancé, Rauw Alejandro, onstage during her high-energy performance. Prior to bringing him out, she appeared onstage with a motorcycle helmet in reference to her latest album, Motomami. She put on one of the best shows with her fierce choreography, captivating visuals, and crowd interactions. After singing several hits, she brought out Alejandro to join her in performing “Beso” and “Vampiros,” where they kissed and danced together. 

@mootorosi

Bizcochito, COACHELLA (video completo) #rosalia #bizcochito #coachella

♬ BIZCOCHITO – ROSALÍA
DannyLux

19-year-old Daniel Balderrama, also known as DannyLux, had his Coachella debut. The Mexican-American artist had grown up in Palm Springs, but had just now attended the festival for the first time. His father, a sanitation worker, surprised his son with a billboard message: “My last time at Coachella I was picking up the trash. Now I’m back to see my son perform this Friday. Te amo, Dannylux. Tu papa.” Balderrama beautifully performed songs, such as “Jugaste y Sufrí,” “Junto a Ti,” and “Mi Otra Mitad,” and covered Feid’s “Ferxxo 100.” 

Conexión Divina

Regional Mexican trio, Conexión Divina, also made their debut performance at Coachella. Liz, Ashlee, and Sandra are the first all-female sierreño act popularizing regional Mexican music. They truly put on an amazing performance and represented their roots this past weekend. 

This year’s Coachella was genuinely spectacular and historical. It is incredible to see how far the music industry has come. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Kaylee Valenzuela is a freshman at Florida State majoring in Political Science, and minoring in Psychology and Business. She enjoys cooking, baking, painting, and yoga.