The Upcoming Films from Hollywood’s Biggest Directors

In the upcoming year, there are a variety of blockbusters coming to movie theaters and streaming services, with some of Hollywood’s biggest directors behind them. Here are some of the most highly anticipated movies that audiences should be on the lookout for: 

While it is easy to get swept up in the excitement of the BarbieOppenheimer double feature, don’t forget about Wes Anderson’s upcoming film Asteroid City. Anderson’s unique yet discernible film aesthetic is often categorized by winding long shots, paralleled symmetry, and stylized color palettes. The movie has been described as a science-fiction romantic-comedy drama, which means there’s certainly something in it for everyone to enjoy. On top of this, there is a star-studded cast including Jason Schwartzman, Scarlet Johansson, Tom Hanks, and Jeffrey Wright. Other notable names featured in the cast list include Tilda Swinton, Margot Robbie, Edward Norton, Steve Carrell, Willem Dafoe, and Jeff Goldblum.

Synopsis: “The itinerary of a Junior Stargazer/Space Cadet convention (organized to bring together students and parents from across the country for fellowship and scholarly competition) is spectacularly disrupted by world-changing events.”

Release Date: June 23

Martin Scorcese is considered one of the most acclaimed and influential directors in history. With classics like Goodfellas, The Wolf of Wall Street, and Shutter Island, it’s hard not to be excited for Scorcese’s latest film Killers of the Flower Moon. The concept for this film originates from the true story and nonfiction book Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and Birth of the FBI. In true Scorcese fashion, it will star A-listers Leonardo Di Caprio and Robert De Niro. Following in a similar suit to his previous film The Irishman, the runtime will be on the longer side at three hours and 26 minutes. The movie will premiere in select cities and then release nationwide on Apple TV+.

Synopsis: “Members of the Osage tribe in the United States are murdered under mysterious circumstances in the 1920s, sparking a major F.B.I. investigation involving J. Edgar Hoover.”

Release Date: Oct. 6 for select cities; Oct. 20 nationwide

While sequels can be a contentious subject for movie lovers, the Academy Award Best Picture Winner Gladiator by Ridley Scott is returning with Gladiator 2. The original movie was a huge success, grossing a total of $503 million worldwide and becoming the second-highest-grossing film of 2000. Now, the violent spectacle of the gladiator ring is returning to movie screens. While there is not much information available on this film just yet, audiences can expect to see Paul Mescal as the lead character, alongside Denzel Washington.

Synopsis: While there are no confirmed details on the movie synopsis just yet, there is speculation that the film will follow Lucius, the young boy who appears in the original Gladiator, and admires the main protagonist Maximus. Many fans believe that Mescal will be playing the grown-up version of Lucius, embarking on his own adventure in ancient Rome.

Release Date: Nov. 22, 2024

With the talent and creativity behind these projects, there is certainly a lot for audiences to be excited about. Be sure to mark your calendars and keep an eye out for showings at your local movie theater.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Shelby is currently a sophomore studying Media/Communication Studies with a minor in Film Studies. She is passionate about reading and writing and is always looking for new movie/TV show recommendations!