If you are a member of Gen-Z like I am, you probably experienced The Hunger Games craze in the early 2010s. Whether you read the books, watched the movies, or discussed it with your friends in middle school, you likely remember the insane popularity of the series.

What if I told you that The Hunger Games is currently experiencing a resurgence? What users on TikTok and Twitter have deemed “The Hunger Games Renaissance?” Those who were obsessed with the dystopian series in their youth have grown up and fallen back in love with it in entirely different ways.

One of the earliest signs of The Hunger Games resurgence was a trend that came about earlier this year. This trend involves users satirically creating hypothetical scenarios for future Hunger Games, including the president, game maker, participants from each district and even the setting. My favorite reimagining of The Hunger Games features Abby Lee Miller as the president, Tyra Banks as the head game maker and Perd Hapley as the announcer.

Some fans believe that the resurgence of the series into pop culture is not a coincidence at all, but rather a calculated PR move to promote the release of the newest movie in The Hunger Games series, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. The newest edition is a prequel to the original trilogy, set 64 years before the events of the first book. The story follows a young Coriolanus Snow, who would later become the villainous President Snow, as he mentors a tribute in the 10th Hunger Games.

@nolyfans

Lets not forget, the Hunger Games movies have always had the most masteful marketing startegies #hungergames #catchingfire #mockingjay #balladofsongbirdsandsnakes #katniss #peeta #thg #booktok #netflix #fyp

♬ War – Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

Fans have continued to gather more evidence that supports this theory, with one of the primary examples being that Taylor Swift’s versions of “Safe & Sound” and “Eyes Open” were just released on March 17. A clearly calculated marketing move on behalf of The Hunger Games team, as those songs were featured and became wildly popular due to their presence on the original film’s soundtrack.

I personally reentered my Hunger Games era after my friend asked me to read the books with her to prepare for the upcoming movie being released this fall. Having only watched the movie series when it was trending in 2013-2014 and being a book lover myself, I thought this was an ideal opportunity to further explore the series I loved as a child.

Whether it was a calculated move or not, The Hunger Games resurgence on TikTok has brought the series back into the public consciousness at a time when many of its themes feel more relevant than ever. The series has always dealt with issues such as inequality, government oppression and the power of the media, but in the current social and political climate, these themes resonate in a new and urgent way.

As fans have returned to the series as adults or discovered it for the first time on TikTok, they are recognizing the depth and complexity of the themes that underpin the story. They are realizing that The Hunger Games is not just a story of thrilling adventure, but a cautionary tale about the dangers of unchecked power and the importance of standing up against oppression. They are openly discussing the series’ political implications, analyzing the characters’ motivations and actions and exploring the ways in which the series speaks to real-world issues and struggles.

What I know for sure is that I will be in theaters on Nov. 17 ready to watch The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I have reentered my Hunger Games phase and maybe after going down a TikTok rabbit hole, you may too!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Alyssa Bynum is a junior at Florida State University studying Public Relations. Her favorite things include her cat Maple, her espresso machine, and wildly unrealistic romance stories.