Live-Action Adaptations Disney Did Right and Which Ones Missed the Mark

Live-action adaptations and remakes of classic animated movies have become the dominant form of movies made in Hollywood, with the Walt Disney Company at the helm. While Disney’s first live-action adaptation dates back to 1994 with the release of Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book, this genre began to gain popularity with the release of Alice in Wonderland in 2010. In fact, since 2014, Disney has released at least one live-action adaptation or remake per year, reaching its height with five releases in 2019. Basically, these movies aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.  

I will forever be a Disney girl at heart, and it’s very exciting to see my favorite characters come to life in front of me, often with my favorite actors taking on the roles! While there are some adaptations I love, these types of movies have become so frequent they feel less special. I’m left feeling as though there’s nothing about these films that makes them magical.  

I believe that live-action adaptations are good projects when they take a classic film and use the opportunity to flesh out characters and plot lines that wouldn’t have been the focus decades ago. Back then, the biggest triumph was the animation alone, and the movies were pretty short. However, adaptations still should retain the charm and livelihood that the original film created. Additionally, they shouldn’t change the plot entirely nor stick to the exact same storyline as the original. 

When a remake or adaptation offers something new to the story in a way that makes the plot and the characters more special, it can be pretty incredible. When it feels as though there is a dedication to the story and special care for the characters, that type of love is evident on the screen. It makes the lack of love and dedication evident as well.

Here are some live-action adaptations and remakes that I think are doing it right and some that are just missing the mark. If you haven’t seen any of these, I highly recommend giving them a watch to form your own opinions! 

Doing It Right

Cruella (2021)

Cruella is one of the most artistically beautiful and intricate adaptations I’ve ever seen. After the success of Maleficent, I was both excited and nervous to see another classic villain be the focal point of a film. This is partly due to fear of the trope of movies and TV shows giving “sob stories” of villains in order to sympathize with them. However, this film perfectly captured the insanity and flair of Cruella de Vil with a backdrop of the fashion world in 1970s London. She is such an intriguing and complex character as Estella and Cruella battle inside her mind. With Emma Stone and Emma Thompson being incredible scene stealers, as well as the cutest post-credits scene that perfectly sets up the plot for 101 Dalmatians, this film was a stroke of genius at Disney headquarters. 

The Little Mermaid (2023)

Hands down, this movie is the greatest example of a perfect live-action remake. While 2023’s The Little Mermaid still had the spirit of the classic 1989 film and the original story by Hans Christian Andersen, it offered so much more regarding the plot and the characters. Casting Halle Bailey as Ariel was a stroke of genius, and she was no doubt the heart and soul of the film. We received more fleshed-out versions of Prince Eric and all of Ariel’s sisters, as well as new music that fits the story perfectly. The scene where Ariel and Eric are exploring the kingdom is by far one of the most beautiful, with the entirety of the land exploding with bright colors, dancing, and strong elements of Caribbean culture that make this remake monumental. 

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

While there are elements of this film that can be debated amongst fans (I get it about the dress, y’all), I believe it is a truly beautiful adaptation of a classic film. Infusing itself deeper into French culture, the final product was over two hours of stunning visuals, fleshed-out characters, new songs that speak to the film’s heart and soul, and the best rendition of “Be Our GuestI’ve ever seen. With its star-studded cast and overall grandeur, this has remained my personal favorite Disney film of all time. 

Missing the Mark

The Lion King (2019)

While I’ll always give Beyoncé her flowers for taking on the role of Nala (incredible casting on Disney’s part), the film falls short. For one, despite being categorized as a “live-action film,” there’s only one scene with absolutely no CGI — the very first shot of the movie. While everything else looks realistic to a point, the characters (all animals, of course) have no facial expressions, so the most dramatic scenes don’t hit the same. The movie as a whole is just a direct remake of the original, with nothing new to offer. Its version of “Be Preparedis my biggest grievance. 

Moana (TBD)

While this movie has not yet been made, I felt the need to add it because of the confusion of it even being in the works. Moana was released in 2016 and felt like an already strong, substantial animated film. It perfectly conveyed the culture and story of an independent young woman on a quest to save her island. Quite honestly, I don’t see what else could be expanded in a film released less than a decade ago. If the best remakes and adaptations are ones that flesh out classic films that were both very short and in a completely different period of technology, then what are we supposed to make of a live-action Moana now? 

Note: Moana was also just announced to have an upcoming animated sequel as well, so I remain all types of confused. 

Mulan (2020)

While this movie is visually beautiful, I don’t believe it holds up to its predecessor. Moving forward with no lyrical music or classic characters was a very bold decision. While I’m not saying that’s what made the movie fall short, it definitely turned some fans away. Furthermore, if they were attempting to achieve a more culturally infused film, they could’ve at least turned to an Asian director and screenwriters instead of an all-white crew. It could’ve been a breakthrough diving deeper into Chinese culture and representation. Factoring in the intense controversy surrounding the lead actress, what could’ve been a beautiful film was drowned out by changing the plot and the spirit of Mulan entirely. 

While I’m not saying there needs to be an end to live-action adaptations, there definitely needs to be more room for original stories as well. If there’s a desire to make something new from Disney films, Broadway shows and limited series would be perfect for expanding on those characters! At the end of the day, audiences want to see not only some variety in these releases but also the love and dedication for the stories portrayed in these films. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Cheyenne Cruz is a staff writer for the FSU chapter of HerCampus. Her work involves writing for personal experiences, entertainment and pop culture, and campus life at FSU. She is a Senior at Florida State University, majoring in Humanities and minoring in Hospitality Management. She also serves as the Event Planning Coordinator for the Themed Entertainment Association at FSU. In her free time, she loves reading and video chatting with her family just to check up on her dogs. She has a love for pop culture and a passion for discovering a myriad of films and tv shows, both old and new. Any song in her playlist is easily located from a movie soundtrack, and she loves bringing her new discoveries to so many different people.