The Beginner’s Bookshelf: My 5 Favorite Books for Aspiring Readers

I haven’t always been an avid reader and still wouldn’t consider myself one. However, my New Year’s resolution was to read more books, and I’ve finally stuck to it recently! I don’t read much, but I do love self-help books and cheesy, slow-burn romance books. I’m trying to find ways to hold myself accountable for reading more, so here are some books that I’ve gotten around to reading and highly recommend for my fellow aspiring readers!

the Love hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood

My friend recommended this Ali Hazelwood series to me, and since I love a good romance book, I decided to give it a try. I love this book! It follows the story of a girl named Olive who fake-dates her professor. There’s so much tension, and I love the slow burn and plot twist. I highly recommend this one and love the cover art for it, too!

Love on the Brain by Ali Hazelwood

This is the second book in the Ali Hazelwood series, even though the storylines aren’t actually connected. This book was also so great and well-written. What I love about Ali Hazelwood is how she ties together science in this series of books, so I learned things I didn’t know before.

The main character, Bee, has to work with her grad school arch nemesis. What’s going to happen? It was such a spicy, slow-burn romance that I loved reading! Next, I’m excited to start Ali Hazelwood’s last book in this miniseries, Love, Theoretically.

The woman in me by Britney Spears

I’m currently reading this one, and I’m so excited to finish it! I wanted to read this book since the day it came out, and I got it gifted to me for my birthday twice. I love Britney Spears and how open and real she is about the music industry and her life. She talks about her music, family, conservatorship, and anything you could think of. It’s truly a vulnerable and candid piece of work.

Don’t Text Your Ex Happy Birthday by Nick Viall

This book is right up my alley. I love books about personal relationships and how to strengthen them because I’m always looking to do so. Nick Viall has a famous podcast called The Viall Files and was formerly on The Bachelor. I love that he provides personal experiences and touches on many topics like love, sex, and dating. I love how entertaining and authentic this book is.

Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton

I loved this book! This book was so important to me, and I learned a lot from reading about Dolly Alderton’s life and loving relationships. It’s honest, funny, serious, helpful, and supportive. Everything I Know About Love was everything I needed it to be. I enjoy reading about other people’s relationships and love because I end up learning so much about myself, my attachment style, my love languages, and more. This is such a great read!

Although it can be hard to find the time in our busy college lives, hopefully, these books have piqued your interest enough to inspire you to get reading!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Delaney Reilly is a staff writer at Her Campus FSU, majoring in instrumental music education. Beyond Her Campus, Delaney is a part of multiple organizations in the college of music. She is in the world-renowned marching chiefs, along with the University Philharmonic Orchestra, NAfME, and ASTA. When she isn’t writing or playing her instruments, Delaney is busy watching movies and traveling! https://www.linkedin.com/in/delaney-reilly-64b64817b