Indie Artists for the Anti-Swifties Who Don’t Get the Hype

If you’re reading this article, then by some miracle of free speech, it made it through a hierarchy of editors, who I’m sure now have a bone to pick with me. After all, we live in a Swiftie-dominated world. Everything and everyone from the radio to the classroom to NFL football is obsessed with the capitalist queen herself, Taylor Swift — except me (and maybe you). 

Shocking as it is to point out, there is a minority of us who don’t get the hype around the popular artist. I want to make something clear (especially before her most loyal followers start calling for my resignation): this article is not going to attack Taylor Swift. I mean let’s be real, I need to at least see how this post does before I take on that controversy.

With the announcement of another new album, it’s possible that Taylor Swift fatigue is setting in for some of you as well. Consequently, today I’m going to give you my top indie artist recommendations to change up your playlist if you’re tired of hearing “Lover” for the hundredth time. 

Dominic fike

We’re starting the list off strong with my own hometown favorite, Dominic Fike (that’s right, my mom saw his mom at Naples Beach). Fike has been steadily growing his following for a couple of years now. If you don’t recognize his name right off the bat, I bet you’ve heard his music as he recently had featured songs in both the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Barbie film soundtracks. Additionally, he starred as Elliot in the hit HBO show Euphoria. 

Combining alternative and hip-hop, Fike’s music is refreshingly his own. He’s not afraid to push the boundaries of his art and his upbeat songs are sure to add some zest to your Spotify queue. The best place to start is “Why,” “Babydoll,” and “Mona Lisa,” but “The Kiss of Venus” has a fun surprise for any Beatles fan. 

Lizzy McAlpine

This next artist has also gained a bigger following recently, which is exactly what she deserves. Lizzy McAlpine is a young indie artist from Philadelphia who’s been gaining traction with her hits like “ceilings” and “doomsday.” Additionally, she recently collaborated with Gen-Z favorite, Noah Kahan, in his song, “Call Your Mom,” which is an absolute must-listen.

McAlpine has an ethereal and calming voice. Her music often hits you right where it hurts in the best way possible. She also just has the coolest last name, so why not give her a try? Start with “To the Mountains” or check out her new single “Older.” 

djo

Djo is the wildcard of this list in more ways than one. For starters, his music falls into the psychedelic rock genre, though he has more tricks up his sleeve than even Tame Impala. What’s the big reveal? Djo is actually the alter ego of Stranger Things fan favorite Joe Keery, AKA Steve Harrington.

Despite his celebrity status, Djo earned his spot on this list due to his experimental and trippy music. If Fike pushes boundaries, then Djo is just out here living his best music side hustle life. Trust me, give “Chateau (Feel Alright)” a listen and it will change your life, or at least your Spotify recommendations. Make sure you don’t sleep on “End of Beginning” or “Roddy” either. 

vampire weekend

Saving the best for last, I can’t do this article justice without including my favorite band of all time: Vampire Weekend. I seriously love their music (I wrote not one but two essays on it). If there’s one recommendation you take away from this read, it needs to be them. This band formed in New York City way back in 2006, but their music is timeless. Their style combines rock, reggae, alternative, and even Baroque harpsichord to make something totally distinct and possibly groundbreaking. 

Also, this is the perfect time to jump on the Vampire Weekend bandwagon, as they recently announced their new album, Only God Was Above Us, which will be out on April 5. Some of their must-listens are “Harmony Hall,” “A-Punk,” and “Unbelievers.” You should also check out their newest singles, “Capricorn” and “Gen-X Cops.” Whatever songs you add to the queue, Vampire Weekend is sure to elevate your playlist with their unmatchable aesthetic. 

See Swifties, there was nothing to worry about. I’m not going after your girl, just the views she’ll get me. However, I hope these recommendations help spread some light on indie artists who deserve their own chance to shine and blossom. Breaking the boundaries of music isn’t easy after all. Anyway, give them a listen and if it isn’t your thing, you can simply “shake it off.” 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Emma Sofianos is a column writer at the Her Campus Chapter in Tallahassee, Florida. She is currently a junior at Florida State University, double majoring in English-Editing, Writing, & Media, and Communications-Advertising. She writes about a range of topics, including culture and lifestyle. Follow her for the latest on movies, books, and music news or for college life and travel tips. In her spare time, Emma is often playing her current favorite song on repeat or on the lookout for the next big movie. She's always planning her next travel adventure and her ideal day is spent in a cafe with a book, her besties, and a chai latte.