Culture > News

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Announces His Presidential Campaign

With just 18 months left in the 2024 presidential race, a new bombshell has just entered the villa. The villa being the 2024 presidential campaign, and the bombshell being Robert F. Kennedy. While I have been keeping up with the race, I was lucky enough to be invited to this event and interview Mr. Kennedy in person. After talking with the most recent candidate, I got an insight into what exactly this could mean for the Democratic Party’s upcoming months.

Just one week after announcing his presidential campaign, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. already claimed 19 percent of President Biden’s voters, causing more people to pay attention to the most recent events. While maneuvering through a busy chaotic day, I was able to ask some burning questions to the newest campaign member.

When asked how he plans to accomplish his goals with such polarization in Washington, Kennedy answered, “The reason we have polarization and misinformation is because the source of information in this country [the government], is no longer telling the truth. I don’t want Wall Street running the country. I don’t want the neocons running our foreign policy. I don’t like censorship. I plan to tell people the truth and end this polarization and misinformation.”

While Kennedy is widely known for being an anti-vaccine activist, he did speak out against COVID-19 restrictions and past presidents’ decisions. When speaking on the issue, Kennedy says, “A lot of people say President Trump gets blamed for a lot of things that he didn’t do. And he gets blamed for some things that he did do. But the worst thing that he did to this country, to our civil rights, to our economy, to the middle class in this country is lockdowns.”

Although Kennedy did not address some hot-button issues like immigration, abortion, and gun laws, he did speak on other issues like our current standing in Ukraine, and government pensions. “Last month, the United States government told 30 million people that they were cutting their food stamp checks by 90 percent. It [also] took 15 million people off Medicare, the same month it tapped up the cost of the Ukraine war to 113 billion dollars. A quarter of our citizens are hungry, so we’re cutting welfare and food stamps by 90 percent, and we’re paying for a war that we can’t afford,” Kennedy states.

While Kennedy is registered and running as a Democrat, many people believe that with many issues, he favors right, like COVID-19 and anti-vax rights, which is unusual for a Democratic nomination. While completely opposing the views of President Biden, Kennedy states, “I’m not running a mean-spirited campaign against Joe Biden. I’ve been friends with Joe Biden for 40 years,” he said. “I’m grateful for his service to our country and his family’s service to our country. But I just disagree fundamentally with him on where the country is going.”

When asked why he was running, Kennedy stated, “I want to get people to forget that they’re Democrats or Republicans and remember that we’re all Americans. I want to be proud of my country,” he said. “I want my children to grow up in a country that they could be proud of the way I was growing up in the United States of America in the 1960s and ’70s.”

While all of this is very new and ongoing, be sure to be on the lookout for Robert F. Kennedy Jr. The future of the United States is only 18 months away.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Kori! I'm a junior at Florida State University, majoring in Creative Writing and Marketing. I'm originally from Orlando, and in my spare time I love binge-watching rom-coms and reading whatever I can get my hands on!