Album cover kacey musgraves
Album cover kacey musgraves
Kacey Musgraves

Recapping Kacey Musgraves’ Albums and My Predictions for ‘Deeper Well’

When Kacey Musgraves started filling her Instagram grid with very artsy photos of grass and one of her laying in the grass naked cradled in a fetal position, I knew it could only (hopefully) mean one thing: a new album! I’m excited to report that my (and all her fans’) suspicions of a new album were correct! Deeper Well is coming to us on March 15, and I couldn’t be more excited. What better way for us to prepare for Deeper Well than to recap Musgraves’ previous four albums? 

If you’re not familiar with Musgraves’ previous work, you may have seen her featured in singles with Noah Kahan, Zach Bryan, Brooks & Dunn, Troye Sivan, and more! She also has a song on Disney’s Frozen 2 soundtrack. Musgraves’ velvety, perfectly country, and feminine voice is the best addition to some of our favorite and most iconic songs in pop culture today.

Before I discovered Kacey Musgraves in 2018, I was severely against country music. I was convinced it wasn’t for me and that it never would be. I was proved wrong when my cousin Jessica introduced me to Musgraves’ upbeat, honest, and extremely dance-worthy album, Golden Hour. Ever since then, I’ve been an avid fan of the seven-time Grammy-winning country singer’s work.

album 1: Same Trailer Different Park

Musgraves released her debut album in 2013 and gifted us with hit singles such as “Follow Your Arrow” and “Merry Go ‘Round.” Same Trailer Different Park was revolutionary in that Musgraves didn’t sing about the typical country music tropes. Instead, she made country music and its lyrics something a lot more people could listen to and relate to. My favorite song on the album is “Follow Your Arrow,” in which she encourages listeners to be themselves as she says, “You’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t!” Musgraves’ iconic first album didn’t go unnoticed and won a Grammy for Best Country Album

album 2: pAGEANT mATERIAL

In Pageant Material, listeners get to know more about Musgraves’ Texas upbringing and how she views herself and deals with society’s beauty standards for women, especially in the South. Musgraves’ second album gave us the hits “Biscuits,” “Late to the Party,” and “Dime Store Cowgirl.” The root and beauty of this album is how much Musgraves values being herself, sticking to her roots, and being proud of where she’s from and where she’s going. “Good Ol’ Boys Club” talks about how proud she is of her accomplishments and how she wouldn’t trade them for anything (or any invite). 

album 3: gOLDEN HOUR

Golden Hour has a very special place in my heart because it’s the album and era in which I discovered Musgraves. Golden Hour is her most successful and famous album, winning her four Grammys including Album of the Year in 2019. What drew me to Musgraves’ lyrics were her descriptions about having butterflies from a crush, what it’s like to be happy and sad, and what it’s like to be in love and enwrapped in a person that’s like “Golden Hour.” Her music was unlike anything I’d ever heard. It was and still is relatable in ways I’d never thought possible. I’ve always appreciated the honesty and transparency in her lyrics like in the song, “Wonder Woman,” in which she sings about how she’ll try so hard to do anything for someone she loves, but she’s only human and not a superhero at the end of the day. This album is timeless and worth a listen if you’re looking to add some new songs to your library. 

album 4: Star-crossed

star-crossed was Musgraves’ reputation era. Musgraves was married from 2017 to 2021, and star-crossed gives fans a peak into the breakdown of her marriage with songs such as “breadwinner,” “good wife,” and “justified.” This is the perfect post-break-up album, or if you want to add more songs to a reputation–vibe playlist. star-crossed gave us the inspiration we need to be girlbosses with or without a man and to make sure we are treated right by our partners. We also get a peek into her healing journey with the song “there is a light,” which talks about the guilt one may feel with moving on, but how good it is to see that light and start moving forward in one’s healing journey. 

album 5: DEEPER WELL

I’m ecstatic about Deeper Well and predict that it will hold more songs about her healing journey. I’ve already fallen in love with “Deeper Well” the single, which talks about Musgraves removing negativity from her life and prioritizing herself. I feel like the song also discusses wanting more for one’s life and their relationships, which I can relate to as a college student. It can be hard not only to prioritize yourself and make friends but also to make the right friends. I can’t wait to see what Deeper Well holds for us!

I hope you give Deeper Well a listen on March 15! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Kara and I am a Retail Entrepreneurship major from Tampa, Florida! I love traveling, going to concerts, coffee runs, and film cameras!