4 Recently Released Movies You’ve Got to Watch Over Winter Break

As we finally begin our winter breaks, our schedules become much clearer. What better way to spend your newfound free time than catching up on some new movie releases? If you’re anything like me, you might be behind in the cinematic world. Sometimes, life moves too fast to stay caught up with new movies. Now’s the chance to catch up! This list of some of the most exciting new releases of the winter has something for everyone. Whether you’re a drama lover or an animation fan, these four anticipated releases are sure to keep you entertained over break.

Wonka

Wonka hit theatres in the U.S. on Dec. 15, following a successful international release. The film features Timothée Chalamet as a young Willy Wonka, following his rise to chocolatier fame. After some controversy over Chalamet’s casting, it’s finally time to see whether he delivered the childhood nostalgia many have hoped for. Sprinkled with musical numbers and whimsical scenery, Wonka is the perfect fantastical escape for this winter break. While it’s not a Christmas movie, it has all the joyous, confectionery elements to warm your heart this holiday season. Not to mention, Hugh Grant is an Oompa Loompa.

The Boy and the Heron

Fellow Studio Ghibli fans, this one’s for you. The Boy and the Heron is the beloved Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki’s final film. In typical Ghibli style, the film’s fantastical animation transports audiences to magical worlds, in this case, one with a talking heron. The film is set in 1943 and follows 12-year-old Mahito in the wake of his mother’s death. He is visited by a talking heron who claims his mother isn’t dead. In his search for her, he finds a tower that transports him to another realm. The dub features a star-studded cast, including Robert Pattinson, Christian Bale (Howl’s Moving Castle fans, WYA?), Mark Hamill, Willem Dafoe, and Florence Pugh.

Saltburn

Now, this one probably won’t bring any warm and fuzzy holiday vibes to the table, but that doesn’t make it any less of a must-watch. Saltburn is a dark, jarring comedy from director Emerald Fennell, starring Barry Keoghan, Jacob Elordi, and Rosamund Pike. While it has received mixed reviews from critics, one thing is clear: you will be shocked.

The movie follows Oliver Quick, a misfit teen who receives a sympathetic invite to wealthy peer Felix Catton’s summer estate. After that, any disturbing thing that could happen pretty much does. This movie does include a lot of graphic content, so take that into account when considering giving it a watch. However, if you’re into unsettling movies that leave you questioning the past two hours of your life, Saltburn is right up your alley.

The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

Last but certainly not least, this list wouldn’t be complete without The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. While this film has been out for a minute, I still believe it deserves a spot. If you haven’t seen it yet, this winter break is your chance! For those who don’t already know, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is the prequel to the iconic Hunger Games series and follows a young President Snow and his relationship with Lucy Gray Baird of District 12. This movie is perfect for feeling all that dystopian 2010s nostalgia.

These four films are certain to bring some entertainment and excitement as you take a breather this winter break. Happy holidays, and happy viewing!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Thea is a junior at Florida State University pursuing a major in English (Editing, Writing, and Media) and a minor in education. She loves listening to all genres of music and spending time outdoors.