Kali Uchis’ ‘Orquídeas’ Is the Soundtrack to Señora Winter

As hot girl summer seems too long ago and far away, we must scour Spotify for a new soundtrack as we make it through the treacherous winter months (yes, even Northern Florida can reach below 30 degrees Fahrenheit). Luckily, Kali Uchis has got us covered for señora winter. It’s the time of year to relax in a comfy cardigan and sip your cafécito with your girlfriends. Whether you understand Spanish or not, Uchis’ Orquídeas album has a unique and ethereal sound.

The vibe of the album mixes a nice combination of peacefulness and fun. It has songs that fit the vibe for a lively night out or a cozy night in with your favorite book. As Uchis has evolved as an artist and mastered her sound, her confidence in her craft shines through. It’s no surprise to me that the album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Latin Albums Chart.

New Era of Growth

As we all grow up and enter womanhood, it’s important to have songs that are as powerful as the changes we’ve endured. The strong ballads on this album speak on topics like perseverance, love, and confidence.

“Te Mata” is a powerful song that showcases Uchis’ vocal abilities as well as how she overcomes the influence of negative people. The song can apply to a variety of different situations and emphasizes the importance of not letting others ruin you. It signifies a new direction for her music.

“Tu Corazón Es Mío…” is a romantic song that is perfect to dedicate to your significant other. Many of the songs on the album detail the depth of emotions you feel when you truly fall in love with someone. Uchis portrays it in a poetic way that makes the lyrics sweet to send to your loved one.

Capturing Colombian Culture

The album’s name alone is a reference to Colombia, the country of Uchis’ ethnicity. Orchids are the national flower of the country and the visuals that accompany the album are aesthetically stunning in their floral patterns.

Another reference to her Colombian heritage is mentioning arepas de choclo, a traditional treat and a staple food that is popular in Colombia. It’s two sweet corn cakes with queso fresco in between, and a must-try if you haven’t already had it.

“Dame Beso // Muévete” sounds like a traditional Latin American song that you would hear at a family house party that would go into the early morning. It’s nice to have a modern take on older Latin music, and it’s the perfect song to play while cleaning or at the gym.

Star Power Collaborations

The album also has collaborations with many other influential artists. The majority of the artists featured on the album are popular Latin artists. The songs with features align more with the reggaeton or Latin pop genre and are relatively upbeat.

Karol G is a Grammy-winning Colombian artist as well as a previous collaborator with Uchis on the song “Me Tengo Que Ir,” which featured on G’s 2023 album. The song collaboration on “Labios Mordidos” is a fast-paced and danceable reggaeton song that is perfect for a pre-Latin night playlist. “Muñekita” is another reggaeton song perfect for Latin night. It features El Alfa and JT, who is a member of the City Girls rap duo.

Steering towards more pop genre-centric collabs are the ones that feature Rauw Alejandro and Peso Pluma. “No Hay Ley Parte 2” is a remix of a previous single released by Uchis in 2022. Alejandro’s addition to the song adds a new layer to the song. “Igual Que Un Ángel” which features Peso Pluma has an upbeat pace and a synth-pop style.

Orquídeas is a fresh album that combines traditional sounds with new ones to form a cohesive and timeless sound. It has definitely been on constant repeat for me since its release and has been my go-to while walking to my classes.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest

Maya Shah is a staff writer at Her Campus at the FSU chapter. She is a Marketing major with a minor in Hispanic Marketing Communications.