Culture > News

How H.B. 999 Would Impact FSU Students if Passed

House Bill 999 was filed on Feb. 21 and unsettled the foundation of FSU’s multicultural organizations. This bill, if passed, would prohibit funding to any college programs or activities that would support diversity, equity, and inclusion, better known as the DEI.  

FSU students are worried they will lose Multicultural Greek Organizations and Multicultural Unions due to H.B. 999. Although Governor Ron DeSantis states that the bill won’t ban multicultural organizations, there’s a high possibility that many will lose their funding and cause them to disband anyways. Lack of funding means unions won’t be unable to host events or maintain a room in the Student Union that provides them with a place to meet.  

H.B. 999 passing would affect FSU students, as they create a safe space for all people of varying backgrounds to find like-minded individuals and cultures. FSU has over 750 recognized student organizations; at least half are represented by multicultural organizations that help student development, create leaders, and allow students to network and form long-term connections.  

Multicultural organizations at FSU empower its members to embrace their identity and culture while promoting inclusivity where there was none otherwise. These organizations help FSU students connect with people of varying backgrounds, which is indispensable at a Predominately White Institution (PWI). FSU students need the opportunity to engage with people similar to them to help them find their place in campus life. College can be a hard adjustment, and finding people to assist you along the way is paramount. If H.B. 999 is passed, it could eliminate the opportunity for FSU students to find a safe space with people who have similar backgrounds and increase the alienation that multicultural individuals may experience at a PWI and in Panhellenic Organizations.  

Multicultural organizations and Multicultural Greeks risk losing years of progress with one bill. The Divine Nine are essential to campus life as this organization creates a balance that FSU needs to cater to all students of every background. 

Afro-Latinx Student Association (ALSA) Co-Event Coordinator, Alyssa Bran, shares her thoughts on the gravity of the situation: 

Her Campus (HC): How do you feel about the possible loss of your union with House Bill 999?

Alyssa Bran (AB): I feel angry because my community is something I hold very dear to me, and I feel like it’s being stripped away from my peers and I. In my opinion, the bill is based on a personal bias with no relevance to actual issues that college students face today.

HC: What does ALSA plan to do to prevent the loss of your union?

AB: We plan to continue into the next school year with the idea that we will have a union, as well as work closely with the directors of the Hispanic/Latinx Student Union and Black Student Union and what they believe is the right course of action. Based on recent discussions, there is potential for active protest in the event of a worst-case scenario. 

HC: How would the passing of House Bill 999 affect you and your community?

AB: It would devastate me, personally. College is used as a time for people to find themselves, so the passing of this bill deprives minority students from having that opportunity. I found a safe space that I did not have prior to college. It significantly helped my mental health and confidence and gave me a community where I can relate to others.

The Multicultural Unions at FSU create a supportive environment for its students and a sanctuary for everyone. The loss of these organizations would be detrimental to the foundation of FSU as students would no longer have a space that provides them with a home away from home. So, stay informed about FSU’s Multicultural Organizations through their linked Instagrams below in the event that they need your support! 

FSU Hispanic/Latinx Student Union Instagram

FSU Black Student Union Instagram

FSU National Pan-Hellenic Council Instagram

FSU Women Student Union Instagram

FSU Asian American Student Union Instagram

FSU Arab Student Union Instagram

FSU Pride Student Union Instagram

FSU Jewish Student Union Instagram

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

Hey Y'all, I'm Bianca, better known as Queen B, and I am a Her Campus Staff Writer!