A few months ago, I fell down a TikTok rabbit hole about visiting a specialist to get color matched. It only took one video for me to realize that this was something I had always done, I just didn’t realize other people didn’t know it was a thing. 

Getting color matched is simply the process of finding colors that match your features such as skin complexion, eye color, and hair color. Choosing the right color palette for you is incredibly important. The colors you wear can affect how people perceive you. It can also make shopping easier. I also believe it is always best to wear things that flatter you so why wouldn’t you want to know what colors look best? 

In 1973, a book entitled Color Me Beautiful was published. My Nana bought a copy, and it became her go-to style guide. This book taught readers what color season was right for them and how to style themselves. While I will say some of the ideas in this book are dated, many hold up; especially the concepts relating to understanding your colors. To this day, my Nana still carries around the sheet with her color palette on it. 

Today, you can go to a specialist to find out what colors are best for you. Obviously, this process is much more in-depth than a print book, but it can also be an expensive experience. The group that created Color Me Beautiful has an online quiz you can take to find your color palette if you want to find out what color palette is right for you for free! 

There are four main color palettes often referred to as color seasons. Winter, Spring, Summer, and Autumn each have set colors and shades that flatter those within each group. Knowing your color season can tell you everything from what colors look best on you to what jewelry colors are the best. 

Winter and Summer are thought of as the cool seasons. Spring and Autumn are the warm seasons. Spring and Autumn have more yellow mixed into their shades while Winters and Summers have more blue mixed in. The warm seasons are paired with gold jewelry while the cool seasons are paired with silver. 

If you don’t want to take a quiz or pay to learn about your colors, you can simply look at celebrities. Celebrity stylists are professionals, and they always dress their stars in flattering colors and styles (usually based on the color seasons). Find a celebrity that looks similar to you and see how they are dressed. If it’s flattering on them, it will more than likely be flattering on you. 

Ultimately, finding your colors is just a fun way to revamp your closet and increase your confidence. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to knowing your colors. Feeling good about the clothes you wear can make picking out an outfit exciting. It can be confusing at first but with a little research, you can be a color expert!  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Peyton is a senior double majoring in Communications and Editing, Writing, Media. She is a member of the Majorette Line with the Marching Chiefs and she hopes to one day be a sports reporter.