Cristian Guadamuz: Proud Hispanic/Latino Student Union Director

Name: Cristian Guadamuz

Year: Junior

Hometown: Miami, FL

Relationship Status: In a Relationship

Major: Finance

Her Campus (HC): What are you currently involved in on FSU’s campus?

Cristian Guadamuz (CG): I currently serve as the Director of the Hispanic/Latino Student Union. Our mission is to unify the student body by promoting Hispanic/Latino cultures and informing students on Hispanic/Latino issues.

HC: What motivated you to become HLSU director here at FSU?

CG: My role models played a significant role in motivating me. Rosie Contreras, who I believe does not get as much credit as she deserves, motivated me a lot even though she may not know it. I had dreams, which I never thought would become a reality; dreams of being in her shoes. My Progressive Black Men, Inc. brothers Reginald Abel, Sabastian Berry & Tyrone Johnson also played an incredible role. I remember they would always throw around, “remember you’re going to be Director of HLSU one day” and I would just chuckle it away. I like to think they spoke it into existence for me.

HC: How do you plan to impact the student body during your time at Florida State?

GC: It is a goal that will probably take longer than my term but it is a goal I have vowed to accomplish nonetheless. I aim to bring more Latino/Latina professors to our University. It is very disheartening that Hispanic/Latino make up 16.1% of the student population, yet only 4% of the 2,180 professors on this campus are Latina. If we pride ourselves as being a diverse institution, let’s actually be one. A diverse university goes beyond having an integration statue or a CARE program. A diverse university, at least to my knowledge, includes professors of all different identity groups: Caucasian, Latino, LGBTQ+, African American, & Asian.

HC: What is your favorite quote?

CG: “You are never strong enough that you don’t need help.” This quote by Cesar Chavez is my favorite because it reminds me of all the people that it took for me to be here today.

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?

CG: During my free time I like to spend time with friends. I will go over to my friends’ houses and play Madden or NBA 2K. I also like to read about current events on the news. If I still have some free time on my hands beyond that, I go on Netflix or Xfinity online to watch Mad Men or Better Call Saul.

HC: Who is the most inspirational individual in your life?

CG: As cliché as it might sound, it has to be my mother. I am so proud to be the son of a Latina woman that was able to raise two sons single handily in this country. A lady that exemplifies the true meaning of the “American Dream” by immigrating to this country and becoming a citizen. She is such a hard worker and without question the most humble person I have ever met. I pray I can be half of the person she is today.

HC: Finally, what legacy do you hope to leave behind years from now after you graduate from Florida State?

CG: Since freshman year this question has always been on my mind and it was something along the lines of, “I want to be remembered as being a huge leader on this campus.” However, now I just think about how naïve I used to be. Today, I genuinely do not care about leaving a legacy. I’m here now and I want to do as much work as I can, but I could care less if my name is attached to that work as long as I can leave FSU a little better than when I came in.

Her Campus at Florida State University.