Since the COVID-19 outbreak escalated in March, the world has practically come to an abrupt halt. College students have been sent home for the remainder of the semester. Classes are online for all students and parents are working from home. All restaurants are either closed or take-out only. You know it’s bad when Disney closes down all of its theme parks worldwide. This pandemic is definitely like nothing we’ve ever experienced. The only thing keeping the world somewhat sane is at-home entertainment like television. If the world has come to a halt, then production for your favorite television shows has stopped too. Here’s a breakdown of what tv shows/events have been postponed because of COVID-19. 

TV Talks 2000 Rep
Pixabay

To start off, all Netflix productions have stopped shooting. This includes any series, movie or special that was shooting or going to begin shooting anytime soon.  

Basically, all weeknight shows on major broadcasting systems have stopped production. Riverdale stopped production after a crew member tested positive for COVID-19.  

A lot of shows were in the middle of filming for their upcoming season. This puts a lot of shows at risk if the show is in jeopardy of cancellation. For example, MacGyver, which has the Friday night slot on CBS, hasn’t been renewed yet for the fifth season and the episodes missed by canceling the rest of production for the fourth season, puts the show at higher risk to get canceled.  

Fan-favorite Grey’s Anatomy is in almost the opposite position. They have already been renewed for their 17th season so production halts won’t impact their future that much. However, they still have four episodes for season 16 that still need to be filmed. As of right now, it’s uncertain if they will continue filming this season or emit the last four episodes.  

In addition to regularly scheduled series, all sports have been canceled. Many basketball players have tested positive for COVID-19 so it’s probably best that sporting events have been canceled for the moment. It has gotten to the point where sports channels are airing old games, matches etc. 

basketball cover photo
Markus Spiske

Other major award shows have been postponed for the time being, even though they’re set for June. The Tony Awards have been postponed until further notice. This makes sense due to the early closure of Broadway since March 12. Other award shows that have either been canceled or postponed include iHeart Radio Music Awards, GLAAD Media Awards, Television Craft and Television Awards, Country Music Awards and the Daytime Emmy Awards.  

The last two postponements that will have the most viewers’ attention is The Bachelorette and the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Originally, after The Bachelor finale, filming for Clare’s season was set to be filmed within the United States. With the cast of young men (Clare is 38) and the rapid spread of COVID-19, production decided to postpone and recast for the upcoming season of The Bachelorette. Finally, the television event of the year has been postponed until 2021. With the uncertain state the world is in today, the Olympic Committee came out with an official statement saying, “the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are going to be postponed, likely to 2021.” 

bundle of roses
Pexels / picjumbo.com

Even though a lot of events have been postponed, streaming services are the perfect thing to take advantage of. So stay at home, grab a blanket, curl up on your couch and binge your favorite show on Netflix and wait patiently until this pandemic is over and all of your favorite events and shows are set to air. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest

Hi, I'm Melissa! I'm a Junior at Florida State University. I'm originally from Orlando and like mac n cheese, art and Disney. I enjoy playing with my hyperactive American Eskimo and hanging out with my friends and binge-watching reality tv!
Her Campus at Florida State University.