CoverGirl Launches #IAmWhatIMakeup Rebranding Campaign

CoverGirl’s new look and slogan are finally here! It was announced late last year that CoverGirl beauty was undergoing a complete change in its brand. The company decided to leave the well-known “Easy, Breezy, Beautiful” slogan behind as it looked forward to the shifts in attitudes toward makeup and self-expression. The brand’s relaunch started with a film called Made in The Mirror featuring current CoverGirls Katy Perry, Ayesha Curry, Maye Musk, Issa Rae, Massy Arias and Shelina Moreda. Some fans were upset that the brand they’ve known and loved was making such a major change, but others were happy to see the company moving in a different direction. The brand has been known for its message of being who you are and using makeup because you want to wear it, not for anyone else. When asked about the shift, senior vice president, Ukonwa Ojo stated, “This is bigger than a new campaign or a tagline. We hope to spark a provocative dialogue that shifts the cultural assumption about when, where, how and why people wear makeup.”

This past week, CoverGirl debuted the beginning of their rebranding initiatives with a video showcasing the new slogan, “I Am What I Make Up.” The video invites makeup lovers to embrace their inner self and mentions it wants its audience to “be unapologetically you.” Makeup is a great way for beauty lovers to express themselves in a creative way and show off their best selves at the same time. The new slogan also introduces a different look for the company as well. The logo is getting a makeover and will become sleeker and more minimalistic.

Courtesy: Bustle

The products that launch from now on will also be in new packaging with a much cleaner look. So far this spring, CoverGirl lovers can expect new brow products, a color correction palette, a smoky shadow palette, new matte lipstick shades, new Melting Pout Liquid Lipstick shades, a lip topcoat in new shades as well as shadow primer and setting spray. The company has been around for so long and we’re excited to see them making strides to change how people view makeup lovers.

The brand has always looked to make an impactful change, such as when it introduced its partnership with beauty guru and Youtuber James Charles. This type of shift from a major drugstore retailer sparked other brands to follow suit and accept that times are changing when it comes to consumer views on purchasing makeup. With every company, at some point, there comes a time when things need to change. Whether it be changing the size of models used, changing the brand’s message or donating proceeds to a good cause, we’re a fan! We’re super excited to see how CoverGirl plans to use this rebranding for the good of the beauty industry and how its product line will continue to expand. Check out one of the newest campaign videos below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhR9uaOClU

Malorie is a senior double majoring in Media Communications and Criminology. She loves anything pop culture, criminal profiler, animal, or food related. She lives for sarcasm and being witty.
Her Campus at Florida State University.