Countdown to the 2020 Oscars: Everything You Need to Know

The 2020 Oscars are coming up next week and you can never be too prepared for the world-renowned star-studded celebrity event. From musical performances to presenters, to the host (more specifically no host), here is your cheat sheet to Hollywood’s biggest and brightest night of the year.

The No-Host Situation

The academy is doing exactly as they did last year and continuing their show without a host. In 2019, Kevin Hart was set to host the show that evening before he resigned from his role due to the majority of people attacking him for his homophobic tweets that resurfaced. The show went on with no host, and in order to cope with the no-host situation for the first time since 1989, The academy just asked even more presenters to be a part of the evening. These celebrities ended up running the entirety of the show. The Oscars will continue again with no host, relying simply on their long list of A-list celebrities to move the night along seamlessly.

Musical Performances

Just like previous years, each song that was nominated for Best Original Song will be performed at some point during the show. This year’s nominees for that category include:

“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away” from Toy Story 4, performed by Randy Newman

“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from Rocketman, performed by Elton John

“I’m Standing With You” from Breakthrough, performed by Chrissy Metz

“Into The Unknown” from Frozen 2, performed by Idina Menzel and Aurora

“Stand Up” from Harriet, performed by Cynthia Erivo

Other performances include Questlove and Billie Eilish. More performances will be announced in the upcoming days before the big show.

Courtesy: @crommelinkklars on Flickr

Presenters

The first round of presenters has just been released by the academy and the list includes Zazie Beetz, Timothée Chalamet, Will Ferrell, Gal Gadot, Mindy Kaling, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Anthony Ramos, Mark Ruffalo, Kelly Marie Tran and Kristin Wiig. More lists of presenters will continue to be announced throughout the next few weeks.

Nominations

This year’s list of nominees came as a surprise to many. There’s very little diversity among the list this year which sparked a lot of controversy. The most popular award given out by the academy is Best Picture. The winner of this award gets their film title permanently displayed outside the Dolby Theatre, where the show is held. This year’s Best Picture nominees include:

1917

Marriage Story

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Little Women

Parasite

Ford v. Ferrari

Scarlett Johansson is nominated for both Jojo Rabbit and Marriage Story, meaning she has double the opportunity to win during next week’s ceremony. It will be interesting to see who takes home these highly sought after awards this year!

Courtesy: Gage Skidmore on Wikimedia

The full list of nominees can be found here.

Where to Watch

The 92nd Oscars will air on Sunday, Feb. 9 at 8 p.m. EST on ABC. The Oscars Live on the Red Carpet will begin at 6:30 p.m. EST. This is Hollywood’s biggest event, and you won’t want to miss it!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Emma Romano is a Public Relations major and a Film Studies minor. She hopes move to Los Angeles to pursue advertising and promotions for movies, TV Shows and celebrities in the future.
Her Campus at Florida State University.