Culture > Digital

Content Creator Dream Does a Long-Awaited Face Reveal

Dream, a 23-year-old with the real name Clay, a content creator and Twitch streamer with over 30 million subscribers on YouTube, has been faceless for several years. Dream is well-known for playing Minecraft and his Minecraft Manhunt series on YouTube, as well as creating the Dream SMP, a survival Minecraft server. Though Dream has said that he never intended to be faceless, he acquired fame and popularity very fast during the COVID-19 lockdown before he got the chance to show his face. Being faceless later became a big part of his brand. He started using his iconic smiley avatar and became a masked creator that many people have grown to love and support.

Before revealing his face to everyone on the internet, Dream decided to FaceTime his closest friends and other content creators, which you can see in this Twitter thread. The thread includes well-known streamers’ reactions, such as Karl Jacobs, BadBoyHalo, Tomminnit, Tinakitten and more. Even influencers like Addison Rae and musicians like Alec Benjamin have FaceTimed Dream to react to his face.

After face revealing to all of his friends, on Oct. 2, Dream posted a five-minute video that everyone had been waiting for, where he dropped his mask and introduced his millions of subscribers to his real face. The video got 26 million views in one day, with countless people tuning in to see Dream’s real face. Underneath the video, Dream wrote, “Hi, I’m Dream, and this is what I look like. After years of being completely faceless online, I finally decided to do a face reveal.” He expressed how much he appreciated his supporters. After dropping his mask, Dream introduced himself again, finally face to face with his viewers. 

He continued by answering the question regarding the timing of his face reveal, “Why now?” He said that he is revealing his face now because one of his best friends, George, who is a British streamer and Youtuber that goes by GeorgeNotFound, is moving to America to live with him and Sapnap, their other best friend who is also a streamer and YouTuber. Dream and his friends have wanted to live together for a while now and Dream wants to start making real-life content together, which is why he wanted to show his face online. Dream then mentioned that now that he has revealed his face, some things will change while some will stay the same. Though he will make the same content, like Minecraft videos without a face cam, he will also start making real-life content, such as vlogs with his friends, where fans will get to see more of Dream’s face. He concluded the video by thanking fans and letting them know that he appreciates them.

His fans have expressed love and support for Dream, letting him know that they are very happy and proud of him and that they are so excited for the future. Most fans have waited for Dream to reveal his face for many years and they have expressed how surreal it feels to have a face attached to the voice that they know so familiarly. Content creators and his friends have expressed support for Dream as well, congratulating him on his face reveal and letting him know that they are proud of him.

Since Dream’s face reveal has been extremely public and talked about all over the internet, there have been both positive and negative reactions. People who are not fans of him but are curious about his physical looks also watched his face reveal given its popularity. They have expressed criticism that Dream looks “average” and like a “normal guy.” Though there have been mixed opinions, his fans and friends complimented and defended Dream, reminding everyone to remain respectful and supportive, as this is a huge change for Dream. Most people expressed how people had way too high expectations and that it is not Dream’s fault that people expected an unrealistically handsome man behind the mask. People also mentioned how Dream does not care about people’s opinions since he did not face reveal for people to criticize his looks, but instead to spend time with his best friends and produce content together.

Regardless of the criticism, Dream expressed that it does not get to him and that “there’s always way more love to drown hate out.” Fans and content creators have continued supporting him and expressing their excitement for him and his best friends’ future together as they enter a new period of their lives. 

Dream will make his first public appearance at San Diego’s TwitchCon next weekend, starting on Oct. 7, where he will get to meet fans and other content creators. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Hi! I'm Deniz. I'm an international student from Turkey, and a junior at FSU, majoring in advertising and minoring in criminology! I'm currently an editor at Her Campus at FSU and a writer for Spoon University. I love creating and sharing things and enjoy music, art, and writing :)