Culture > News

CoM Connection: Upcoming Performances at the College of Music

Welcome back to CoM Connection, a bi-weekly column highlighting some of the upcoming concerts, recitals and performances at the College of Music! The College of Music hosts over 350 performances every year by its 1,000+ students. There are dozens of musical ensembles that each put on their own concerts and recitals, ranging from traditional orchestra music to gospel choir to Balinese gamelan. Whether you were in band all through high school or you can’t tell a clarinet from an oboe, the CoM has something for everyone. Best of all, almost every performance is FREE for students!

Vocal Jazz – Tuesday, Nov. 12 at 7:30 pm in Opperman Music Hall

Vocal Jazz is a small auditioned choral ensemble with a focus on classic and contemporary jazz music. For their concert on Tuesday, they’ll be singing six famous tunes by Gillespie, Rutherford, Hayes and more!

Courtesy: FSU Choral Ensembles

Strike Up the Band(s)! – Band and Orchestra Concerts

Wind Ensemble will be performing their second concert of the semester on Wednesday, Nov. 13 at 7:30 pm in Ruby Diamond Concert Hall. They’ll be joined by Allen Vizzutti, a celebrated trumpet player, composer and music educator. The program will feature several of Vizzutti’s compositions, and you’ll even get a chance to hear him play a solo (or two)!

University Philharmonic Orchestra has a concert on Friday, Nov. 15 at 7:30 pm in Opperman Music Hall. They’ll be performing pieces by Verdi, Hanson and Schubert.

Double feature alert! Symphonic Band and Concert Band are sharing their second concert of the semester on Sunday, Nov. 17 at 7:30 pm in Opperman Music Hall.

Campus Band and Campus Orchestra will be performing their end-of-semester double concert on Monday, Nov. 18 at 7:30 pm in Opperman Music Hall. These two ensembles are unique because they’re non-auditioned and open to all majors, so you might just see your lab partner up on stage playing the cello! Maybe…

Wind Orchestra is having a concert on Friday, Nov. 22 at 7:30 pm in Ruby Diamond Concert Hall. The most anticipated piece on their program is a Todd Goodman tuba concerto, with the solo performed by CoM faculty member and tuba/euphonium professor Dr. Justin Benavidez!

Courtesy: FSU Saxophone Studio

Afro Latin American Ensemble – Sunday, Nov. 17 at 2:00 pm in Dohnányi Recital Hall

The AL Ensemble is a relatively new group that was formed last spring by graduate student Mateo Sanchez. The AL Ensemble focuses on performing diverse Latin American music with African roots. For their Sunday concert, they’ll be playing tunes inspired by the Carnival tradition, including songs from Venezuela, Honduras, Ecuador, Uruguay and more!

Modern Guitar Ensemble – Thursday, Nov. 21 at 7:30 pm in Lindsay Recital Hall

No, they won’t be playing “Wonderwall” – Modern Guitar Ensemble means business! MGE is composed of guitarists from a variety of majors and disciplines that all come together to play both classical and contemporary guitar repertoire. The ensemble also gives students the unique opportunity to teach and lead the group on certain songs!

Courtesy: FSU Modern Guitar Ensemble

Swing Machine – Sunday, Nov. 24 at 7:30 pm in Opperman Music Hall

Don’t think I forgot about jazz! Swing Machine is the CoM’s non-auditioned jazz band and it’s mostly made up of music education majors, but all FSU students are welcome to participate. Each song on the program is chosen, rehearsed and conducted by a different member of the band, which means that students have a ton of ownership over the music-making process. Swing Machine concerts are always a great time – don’t miss out!

Senior Recitals

In addition to ensemble performances, dozens of upperclassmen also put on their own solo and duet recitals every semester! These seniors have worked incredibly hard during their time at FSU to develop their skills as performers and educators.

Nicole Mann, double bass – Saturday, Nov. 16 at 4:00 pm in Dohnányi Recital Hall.

Nicholas Feivou, trumpet and Grace Hayes, mezzo-soprano (self-promo!!) – Sunday, Nov. 17 at 2:00 pm in Longmire Recital Hall.

Joseph Canter, baritone – Friday, Nov. 22 at 7:30 pm in Lindsay Recital Hall.

Lindsay Haerle, clarinet and Christopher Wray, oboe – Saturday, Nov. 23 at 7:30 pm in Lindsay Recital Hall.

Angie Dueñas, viola – Sunday, Nov 24 at 2:00 pm in Dohnányi Recital Hall.

Stevi Parker, bassoon – Sunday, Nov 24 at 2:00 pm in Lindsay Recital Hall.

Diana Tang, violin – Sunday, Nov 24 at 4:00 pm in Longmire Recital Hall.

Yu Ray Chu, violin – Sunday, Nov 24 at 4:00 pm in Dohnányi Recital Hall.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Grace Hayes is a senior Choral Music Education major at Florida State University. She hails from Chicago, IL and mentions it at least once in every conversation. She loves cats, writing, drawing, and spreading the good word about Culver's cheese curds to her out-of-touch Florida friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.