The Collegiette’s Guide To Happy And Healthy Living: Halloween Edition

Is it just me, or does Halloween just sneak up on us every year? Us collegiettes are busy with school, part-time jobs, Parks and Rec… how are we supposed to accomplish all of that in a week AND make costumes, prepare food, and plan for Halloween? We just can’t manage. But don’t worry, I’m here to help!

This week’s guide is sure to help you with all of your Halloween needs. Here you will find simple and creative Halloween costumes, healthy treats, and activities to make your night spooky and fun!

Creative and easy costume ideas:

“Go, Ceiling! Go!!” Get it?! A ceiling… fan! I can’t be the only one that finds this costume HILARIOUS. You’ll be sure to spark conversation all night with this punny costume. It’s simple and best of all — CHEAP! All you have to do is get some pompons or a foam finger and scream, “GO CEILING,” all night, and people will LOVE it! There’s really nothing better.

Image: Reddit MaReCh

Bunch of grapes. This adorable costume is simple and cheap to put together, but is also just enough to put you above the rest. A proven crowd-pleaser and costume-contest winner, all you have to do is safely pin some purple balloons to your shirt!

Image: Instructables.com

You may not be able to rock it as well as this puppy, but don’t let that stop you! I’m sure you’ll come in a close second!

There are so many other things you can do with the clothes you already have! Just wear your denim shirt (that you probably already have on anyway… let’s be honest), tie a red bandana in your hair, and flex your arm muscles all night — Rosie the Riveter! Did that last year? No problem! Keep your hipster glasses on and wear that red and white horizontal striped shirt from American Eagle you got in middle school; people will be looking for you all night!

Just be creative and have fun! Simple is good if you don’t have time to go all out.

Yummy (and healthy) treats:

Cinnamon apple chips

Image: Babble.com

Ready to eat in: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Ingredients:

-organic apples (as many as your taste buds desire)

-organic sugar (1 ½ teaspoons per 2 apples)

-cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon per 2 apples)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C).

2.  Arrange apples slices on a metal baking sheet.

3. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl; sprinkle over the apple slices.

4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until apples are dried and edges curl up.

5. Transfer apple chips, using a metal spatula, to a wire rack until they’re cool and crispy.

[ pagebreak ]

Tangerine Pumpkins + Bananas Ghosts

Image: weelicious.com

Ready to eat in: 15 minutes

It’s as easy as it sounds! Simply peel some tangerines and stick a piece of celery (for the stem) on top to make the pumpkins, then peel and cut the bananas to make the ghosts, using mini-chocolate chips for their faces!

Pumpkin Bread/Muffins

Ready to eat in: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

-Trader Joe’s pumpkin bread mix

-1/2 cup of sunflower oil

-2 eggs

-1 cup of water

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Grease 9×9 pan.

3. Mix together pumpkin bread mix, oil, eggs, and water in a large bowl.

4. Pour into pan; make sure it is spread evenly.

5. Bake for 30 minutes; use a toothpick to make sure it is cooked all the way through.

Now that you’re lookin’ good and well-fed, what are you gonna do? There are plenty of fun things to do on Halloween that you’ll still remember the next day!

Check out what’s going on at FSU on October 31st:

• Annual Midnight Showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show at the SLC:

Get out your fish nets and get ready to ‘Time Warp’ with this cult classic. Who wouldn’t want to watch a movie where you get to throw things at the screen?

Check out movies.fsu.edu for more information!

Image: Funkyjunk.com

• Haunted Harvest at The Student Union, 7 p.m. – 2 a.m.

Join your fellow ‘Noles for a fun-filled night! Some of the awesome things they’re going to have include:

-Bowling

-Costume contest

-Laser Tag (you should totally ‘suit up’ to play! #HIMYM4ever)

-Pumpkin carving

-Face-painting

-Make your own Paint-a-pot

-And tons of FREE FOOD!!

• FSU Flying High Circus’ Halloween Extravaganza

If you haven’t seen our Circus before, now is the time! Prepare to be amazed!

Just want to stay home with friends? Why not have a scary movie night? After all, friends that watch horror movies together, stay together! If you live off-campus, just because you may not have your own kids doesn’t mean you can’t hand out candy (in a totally non-creepy way). Whatever you do, just remember to have fun and please be safe.

Happy Halloween, everyone!

Image: 851facebook.com

Courtnee is a senior at the beautiful Florida State Univeristy majoring in Public Relations. She is involved in various student organizations on campus, is a Resident Assistant in Landis Hall (shout out to her BLG fam and the 4th floor!), and works part time at The Zimmerman Agency doing what she loves.In her free time, you can find Courtnee reading a book, playing soccer, binge watching netflix, laying on the beach, or eating entire pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in one sitting (usually while binge watching Netflix).She has a slight obsession with puppies and boybands and her wonderful family.After graduation, Courtnee is moving to Munich, Germany for a year where she will be an au pair. Once back from this journey Courtnee hopes to move to New York City and find a way to become a part of the SNL team, whether it's as a public relations associate, cast member or janitor... She WILL make it to SNL.She hopes you take something out of "The Collegiette's Guide to Happy and Healthy Living," even if it's just a laugh. Thank you for reading :) "She was a girl who new how to be happy even when she was sad, and that's important." ~Marilyn Monroe
Her Campus at Florida State University.