Cold Weather Hiking and Other Outdoor Activities

Even though Tallahassee is not always necessarily “cold” in the winter, native Floridians are typically seen running for their puffy jackets when it comes to the outdoors. For a lot of us, this means endless weekends spent inside watching movies with hot cocoa. However, for those of us who like to get outside and breathe in some fresh air no matter the temperature, here are a few cool places you should check out before this winter comes to an end.

1. Maclay Gardens State Park

Courtesy: Alexis Jalovec

Though I’ve never visited this park, I’ve seen enough Snapchat stories of it to feel like I’ve seen it inside out. The gardens are home to rows of beautiful flowers, a secret garden, a brick walkway, and a reflection pool. Not only is this a prime Instagram spot, but it is a really cool getaway place to appreciate the real beauty that Florida has to hold. Bicyclists, horse riders, and hikers also have access to dozens of trails and woods behind the gardens. It is currently in its prime blooming season, so now would be a great time to check out this floral wonderland.

2. Lake Ella & Fred Drake Park

Courtesy: Inside Florida

Lake Ella, a well-known outdoor pursuit, is a beautiful place to relax after a rough night out. It is home to a beautiful lake surrounded by picnic tables and a pretty path. For those chilly days when you want to do something indoors, the Black Dog Café, a farmers market, and other restaurants and shops are all in walking distance from the lake and provide a unique and fun atmosphere.

3. Wakulla Springs State Park

Courtesy: My Park Photos

Extremely popular among FSU students in the summer, Wakulla Springs also has plenty to offer during the cooler months. The park is home to nature trails, glass bottom boat tours, and daily riverboat tours for a close look at wildlife. While on these tours, you might catch an alligator, turtle, deer, or even a manatee. The trails featured in the park are good for those who are strenuous hikers, equestrian riders, or those who simply want to go on a good old nature walk. Finally, just when you think there’s nothing else you could possibly do at the park, you can grab a paddle and make your way down the Wakulla River at any time of year. The trail is about 3 miles and is made for people of any skill level.

4. Leon Sinks Trails

Courtesy: Adventures of a Couch Surfer

Hidden just a few miles south of Tallahassee, this awesome and unique path of trails is something I had never heard of until I did some research. I don’t know how this place isn’t more popular, because it looks so beautiful. It’s full of trails – short or long, depending on your hiking abilities – and at the end of each trail is a magical looking sinkhole. On the way to the sinkholes, you will see over 75 different types of plants and trees, along with the occasional deer, hawk, raccoon, or tortoise. This seems like a great place to grab your pup and a picnic lunch and explore the wonders that Tallahassee has to offer.

5. The Wacissa River

Courtesy: Day Trip Tallahassee

Last but definitely not least, the Wacissa River is a relaxing and romantic place to paddle through miles of nature and wildlife. You can rent either a canoe or a kayak and go as far as you would like (the trail is 15 miles altogether if you choose to do so). Travelers have reported seeing hawks, turtles, alligators, and tons of fish in this pristine water. Again, this is another opportunity that can be enjoyed in winter or summer. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.