The Coachella Valley Musical and Arts Festival is a concert that attracts individuals from all around the world. The concert usually takes place at the Empire Polo Club – located in Indio, California. The designated location is called the “Coachella Valley” in the Colorado Desert of California. The South California Festival was set to be held on Apr. 10 to Apr. 12 and Apr.17 to Apr. 19 but has, unfortunately, been postponed. The new concert dates for Coachella is Oct. 9 to Oct. 11 and Oct. 16 to Oct. 18. This has left a large number of disappointed fans and musical artists. The reason for this postponement – you may already know.

The Coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, has been spreading like a bush fire throughout the world and in the United States. According to the NYTimes Coronavirus tracking map, California is known to have the most reported cases – as of this week – within the United States. With the large tourism that the State attracts for places such as Disney World and events, such as Coachella, those in charge of the Festival sought it best to postpone until the imminent threat of the Coronavirus is seized.

The new concert dates – Friday, Oct. 9 to Sunday, Oct. 18 – still have some attendees unsatisfied. While Coachella is an all-ages festival, many of the attendees are young adults – who are in college. The dates in April reflect the days designated to many college student’s Spring Break. Due to this, the dates in October are not optimal for these individuals. Similar to other attendees of the Festival, the original April dates were pre-planned into their “life schedule” and the October-dates may not be optimal for them as they did not anticipate attending Coachella months from its designated dates and month. However, as the spread of the Coronavirus continues within the United States and around the world, more people are understanding the threat of exposure that exists from crowding in a desert valley with around 100,000 people from all walks of life. The risk of exposure is too high.

Artists Frank Ocean, Travis Scott, and Rage Against the Machine were set to headline the 2020 Coachella Festival this upcoming April. Some of the other artists who are scheduled to perform at the Coachella 2020 Festival are from artists, like The City Girls to Princess Nokia and Lana Del Rey to Koffee – as well as many more DJ’s and artists from all around the world. No statements have been made by Coachella stating whether the lineup of the Festival will be affected by the switch from April to October.

The unknown of the Coronavirus has forced a lot of events to be postponed – not just the Coachella Festival. The threat of spreading the virus is too risky. By enforcing preventative measures, it’s negating the pandemic having a larger population of people to cure with no cure currently being available.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hello! My name is Valene and I am a new Staff Writer at HerCampus and I attend Florida State University. A fun fact about me is that I am originally from Jamaica.
Her Campus at Florida State University.