Cleveland Indians Remove Offensive Mascot from Uniforms

Back in 1947, the Cleveland Indians introduced the first Indian’s logo, Chief Wahoo. A roughly sketched Indian fully in red with a black outline became a well-known face for dedicated Cleveland fans. Many modifications and advancements in the logo later, the Cleveland Indians have announced the removal of mascot, Chief Wahoo from the 2019 uniforms. After countless discussions, MLB director, Rob Manfred, and team owner, Paul Dolan, decided this action best benefits the team.

Courtesy: Sporting News

The Cleveland Indians aren’t the first sports team to be scrutinized for the distasteful team mascot. A few years back, the Washington Redskins were attacked to change the team name and logo. Years after problems arose with the Redskins, no progress has been made on modifications. The team has resisted any change, including last year with a Supreme Court ruling the team the rights to a trademark on its logo. The Cleveland Indians chose a different path for their team.

It’s easy to understand why the red-faced, big-toothed caricature was originally challenged. Like other major team mascots, the Indian mascot represents a derogatory image of Native Americans. Criticism of this baseball team began to grow back in 2016 when the Indians made the World Series. When their mascot was highly advertised for the World Series, there was no surprise the mascot would gain attention. Due to this, we all knew the time was coming for the offensive logo to be put under fire. However, the transition is not going to be abrupt. The team will still wear uniforms and caps with the Wahoo logo for the 2018 season, and merchandise representing Wahoo can still be sold. Some question why the team has chosen to prolong the switch to be without Wahoo. However, the Cleveland Indians have already introduced caps with a block “C” and removed signs involving Wahoo from Progressive Field. With every step forward, consequences are to come. While the mascot was insensitive to most, others have shown it as an icon. Since the mascot has been on the field with the team for years, devoted fans are left with some sadness.

Courtesy: SB Nation

With the country in its current state of hatred and inequality, the action can be seen as a sign of a better tomorrow. While this decision provides as a step away from racism, many still want more. Those who have rebelled against the logo want the Cleveland team to remove the “Indian” name, as well. As the topic rose on social media, plenty of outrage from true Indians was shown. Genuine feelings have been revealed, one sign even reading, “WE ARE NOT HONORED!!” Others cheered for the upcoming “death” of Wahoo. While this team takes a big step towards the end of racism in sports, there are plenty of teams to go. Who will be next? Maybe the Blackhawks? Kansas City Chiefs? Only time will tell! 

Her Campus at Florida State University.