3 Christmas Movies That’ll Get You in the Holiday Spirit

Happy December! It’s officially the winter holiday season, and I couldn’t be more excited. While growing up, one of my family’s favorite holiday traditions, like a lot of other families, was (and still is) watching our favorite Christmas movies. We were always excited to watch classics like Home Alone and The Santa Clause, or to indulge in (and possibly make fun of) the year’s newest Christmas movie releases. My sister and I can’t even get through the first 30 minutes of a Hallmark movie without giggling to ourselves about the standard love story plot.

Nothing compares to breaking out your favorite Christmas pajamas and having your favorite holiday drink, whether it be an eggnog, a hot chocolate, or possibly even one of Starbucks’ Festive Flavors or Icy Festivity beverages! These combined with family, friends, and your favorite Christmas movie are just *chef’s kiss*. Today I’ll be ranking my top three Christmas movies!

Elf

Elf is my all-time favorite movie and is the first one I think about once it starts getting even a little cold. The iconic Christmas film was released in 2003 and follows Buddy the Elf (played by Will Ferrell) on his journey to find his real human dad in New York City. As you can imagine, a grown man who genuinely thought he was an elf finding out he was human and then navigating modern-day New York City all by himself would come with its own set of challenges. Along with making connections with local New Yorkers, working in and decorating a department store, and finding his place in his new family, Buddy will make you laugh, cry, and believe in the magic of Christmas.

This movie also has a special place in my heart because my parents’ fun fact was that they were in New York City when they were setting up the city for Elf, and I will always be jealous even though I wasn’t even born at the time. I’d recommend this movie to anyone who hasn’t seen it or just wants to start the holiday season off right! You can watch the movie this holiday season in select movie theaters or on Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, or Max.

Mickey’s once upon a christmas

If you’ve heard me talk about my parents, you’ve probably heard me say that they’re Disney adults. But, they’re Disney adults without the dressing up part! As a result, I love a good Disney movie, and this certainly extends to Disney’s Christmas films.

One of the first Christmas movies I remember watching was Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmas. The 1999 film has three stories that follow Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy in their venture for a perfect Christmas. If you want to have all the nostalgia and more, I recommend this movie. Nothing compares to the love between Mickey and Minnie and the sacrifices they make to get each other the perfect Christmas gifts. Donald Duck’s nephews are reliving Christmas on repeat and learning the true meaning of love, family, and Christmas. Goofy tries his best to give his son, Max, the best Christmas and prove that Santa is indeed real and coming.

This animated film is great for the whole family. I would recommend it to anyone who really wants to go to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. You can watch this movie on Disney+.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

This might be a little bit of a hot take, but the live-action Grinch movie is one of my favorites. My sister is two years younger than I am, and when we were still in elementary school, she insisted on only watching cartoons or anything animated. Live action wasn’t allowed. But, when we discovered How the Grinch Stole Christmas, she actually let us watch it (after the initial shock that comes with Jim Carrey’s Grinch costume and character).

I love How the Grinch Stole Christmas because I feel like a lot of us can relate to the Grinch in his own unique and quirky ways. I also really like how the film gives us some backstory on the Grinch’s childhood and his hatred for Christmas. The movie follows The Grinch in his quest to ruin Christmas, yet somehow ends up crowned Holiday Cheermeister of Whoville and gets his girl.

I would recommend this movie to anyone who’s looking to spice up their classic holiday movie rotation. You can watch it on Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV, Vudu, and more. You can also visit The Grinch at Universal Orlando this holiday season.

Thank you for reading all about my favorite Christmas movies. I hope you either found a new movie to watch or rediscovered an old favorite. Happy holidays!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Kara and I am a Retail Entrepreneurship major from Tampa, Florida! I love traveling, going to concerts, coffee runs, and film cameras!