hallmark christmas movies?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
hallmark christmas movies?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The Hallmark Channel

The Hallmark Holiday Chokehold, Explained

Let’s face it. No one can get away from Hallmark around the holidays. Whether you want to or not, you will always find yourself being sucked into another Christmas Hallmark movie. You just can’t get away with not watching one during this season. It’s a must.

The Storyline

Hallmark movie scenarios are typically recycled for each movie. Here’s my best attempt at laying them out (it’ll be like you’re actually watching the movie!):

Big city man or woman has a conflict at home. This could be a breakup, an internet scandal, or their father’s company needing him or her to learn the trade. The leading man/lady is reluctantly sent to a small and homey Christmas town. In this transition, we also learn a bit about their home life. Their mom died, their fiancé sucks, or something else along those lines. (But we don’t talk about that yet.)

There, they run into a supporting character while unpacking his or her large (and either utterly boring or overly extravagant, there is no in-between) suitcase. At first, they will hate each other and not get along, making us think we won’t see much of them. Wrong. We can’t be fooled. This character will be the owner of the only bar in town, the only taxi service in town, or some other service that isn’t realistic. They will become “the potential love interest.” We eat it up.

The main character will try to get out of this town ASAP. They will try to get their work done fast while turning down kind offers from locals to participate in town events. Eventually, there will be a snowstorm or some kind of event, which means the leading actor’s job will be completed. Oh no! More time in town with the surprisingly charming, handsome, or beautiful co-star that we just can’t seem to get away from.

Once he or she is stuck in town, they will start noticing the charming atmosphere and people. Making friends with the children or other sweet supporting characters will prove to warm the heart of the potential love interest. Soon, the characters connect more personally, talking about their lost parents, failed past relationships, or tough situations at home. Suddenly, the two main characters are falling for each other. (Shocker! Never saw that coming!)

While conflict is beginning to brew in the main character’s life, it’s getting closer to Christmas. This means the time to complete the trip’s intention is running out. The main character will find him or herself saving the town’s charity event of some sort with their big city talents and resources. (Yay! The town has been won over!)

Within the last 20 to 30 minutes of the movie (believe me, I’ve timed it), we see the climax of the movie play out. There will be a moment between the two characters when our protagonist suddenly leaves to go back home, the ex or fiancé will turn up in the small town (obnoxiously), and the now not-so-potential love interest will think they have not really changed at all. (So predictable, so sad.)

Just as we think the movie will end badly, both characters will realize they are perfect for each other and want to be together. (You didn’t actually think it would end badly, did you?) There will be no more finance, ex, or big city materialism. The main character will come back, or the love interest will go to find their soulmate, and they will explain everything.

There will be snow. There will be cheesy lines. Someone’s grandpa will be Santa. Yay, happy ending! Yay, Christmas kiss! Yay, the town has been saved!

Every now and then, there’s a princess, the town will be sold to the main character’s family company, or the plot takes place at a ski resort. However, a touch of the Hallmark magic always makes us return for more. A perfect example is a new Hallmark movie that came out on Dec. 3. With a classic Hallmark title, Christmas with a Kiss is exactly the storyline we all live to see about a woman with a history of failed relationships returning home to rediscover the magic of Christmas.

The Chokehold

These movies are painfully predictable. It’s always the same storyline laid out to perfection. However, maybe the chokehold (and, in some cases, obsession) is simply because of the predictability of the two-hour classics. We know what to expect: a cute, slightly cheesy, predictable, yet satisfying ending to a love story wrapped up in a perfect red bow.

Whether you’re single, taken, or somewhere in between, Hallmark always manages to put people in a good mood. Rather than leaving an empty feeling or longing like some holiday movies do, I know I can turn off the TV or get pulled into another movie with a smile on my face and a warm holiday feeling.

Hallmark curates the perfect amount of Christmas magic, self-conflict, and happy endings that make its viewers never fail to come back for more. Their “All New Holiday Movies” will most likely be like the rest, but we both know you can’t resist.

I think that part of the Hallmark Holiday Chokehold also has to do with the fact that their movies play all day long. You can cuddle on the couch before bed, have them on for background noise while doing chores, or do your morning Wordle and pet your dog with a side of Hallmark. We know what to expect, so we don’t have to devote our whole minds to it. They are simple and thus give us a break from the world, which we often need around the holidays.

The Marketing

Hallmark is a must for many around the holidays. They do a great job of advertising, which entices us even more. Watching a Hallmark movie has even become a certain vibe around Christmas, making it perfect for marketing.

I have a red mug that says “This is my Hallmark movie-watching mug.” We see PJs, candles, and cards by Hallmark. This company has turned its entire company to Christmas and does well year-round.

I sound like a hater, but believe me, I’m not. I will sit on the couch each year with my Hallmark mug full of hot chocolate and watch more Hallmark movies than I should admit. I hope I didn’t ruin how you view Hallmark movies, but they might be more comical to watch now. Enjoy!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi! My name is Vega Scholpp and I'm a freshman at FSU! This is my second semester writing for Her Campus. I am a Media/Communication Studies Major, studying to be a Broadcast Journalist. In my free time I love to read, go to the beach, listen to Taylor Swift, play sports, and have game nights with my friends! Go Noles!