Chipotle vs. Moe’s: Whose Queso Is Better?

Given that on Oct. 7 FSU is facing one of its greatest rivals, Miami, it only makes sense for us to revisit the largest rivalry in the nation: Chipotle VS. Moe’s. Who rolls the best burrito? Which restaurant has the better aesthetic? And most importantly, which guac is the emerging champion? Tex-Mex fans everywhere have worked hard to answer these questions. Today, we aim to put an end to all the commotion with a dip-off: who has the better queso? While Moe’s Queso has a reputation to uphold, Chipotle recently tried to give it a run for its money. Now, who will take the Mexican food heavyweight champion belt home?

Before the taste test, it may be best if we break it down for ya.

Here is what is in Moe’s famous queso recipe, according to Hellthy Junk Food, a website for food junkies.

Ingredients:

• 6 slices of White American Cheese
  • 2 Slices of Pepper Jack Cheese
  • 1 Cup heavy cream
  • ¼ Cup jalapeno juice from the jar
  • 1/8 Cup diced jalapeno peppers
  • 1 Tbsp White distilled vinegar
  • 1 Tsp Salt

Now after a long wait, we welcome Chipotle’s queso. It is important to remember that Chipotle’s queso “contains zero industrial additives, artificial colors, and artificial stabilizers,” according to Thrillist. The lifestyle brand also went ahead and revealed the ingredients found in their queso:

• Aged cheddar cheese
  • Tomatoes
  • Tomatillos
  • Milk
  • Seasonings
  • Multiple types of peppers

As one can see, both fast food chains incorporate very different recipes into their menu. It is time for the trials of all trials. Before the big reveal, I think it is important to mention that I am a hardcore Chipotle fan.

Moe’s Queso:

Let’s start by talking about the texture: it is thick, smooth and creamy. The best way to die would probably be by drowning in a bowl of this stuff. My favorite part would have to be the moment when you pull the chip away from the bowl and it sort of mimics the pulling of cheese when you bite into a mozzarella stick. With this queso, you can really taste all the different ingredients that go into it. It definitely has a flavorful kick when you eat it and makes you see jalapeno in a less scary light since it’s not too spicy. 10/10, would recommend.

Now for the Chipotle queso:

This was actually my first time trying the Chipotle queso. The release of their new product was what really inspired me to write this article. It is safe to say, I had high expectations for this one. Just by the color of it, I thought it would most resemble the taste of Tostitos Nacho Cheese dip. Boy, was I wrong. You see, I tried the dip before I actually knew what was in it. For me, it definitely had a hint of refried beans. I was shocked to not see it in the recipe. I was also not a big fan of its texture, it seemed a little watery to me. Even though I swear by Chipotle, it was hard for me to defend this one. However, when my roommate tried it, she thought it was better than Moe’s. One of our friends went as far as to even compare it to hummus. All in all, it was alright, but Chipotle, you can do better.

3 out of 4 people that I asked to participate in this taste test agreed that Moe’s queso is the best-o.

Moe’s might have won this round, but my loyalty still lies with Chipotle.

All images courtesy of the author.

Her Campus at Florida State University.