freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Cheap Dates for College Students Who Are Trying to Ball on a Budget

A common understanding and a strong sense of comradery found amongst college students is the realization that we’re all teetering on the edge of broke, and that’s okay. Now, does that prevent us from having a little fun here and there? Absolutely not. Skipping happy hour or brunch out with the girl squad is certainly not listed on the weekly agenda. With that said, even those who aren’t precariously straddling the line between financially stable and only having $3.47 left in their Venmo balance probably wouldn’t refuse the chance to save some change, especially when it comes to dating. Going on typical dates can require a steady cash flow in order to fund the movie tickets or to foot the dinner bill for two. The best-kept secret to impressing a significant other isn’t in the money you shell out, but in the time and thought you invest into a date. I shouldn’t have to say this, but dates are important in the growth of a relationship and luckily, Tallahassee has a wealth of cheap and even free dates to take advantage of.

Live Music and Concerts:

What better way is there to connect with a person than through a shared taste in music? Even if it’s a band you’ve never heard of, live music is a nice way to loosen up. Plus, discovering a cool new band together is just another thing you’ll have in common to talk about. Quit limiting yourself to shared Spotify playlists and check out some of these upcoming shows instead.

• Laura Stevenson – The Wilbury, Feb. 5 at 9:30 p.m, Tickets $12 or free for FSU students.
  • Car Seat Headrest – The Moon Tallahassee, Feb. 21 at 8 p.m, Tickets $22 or free for FSU students. (Tickets available at carseatheadrest.com)
  • Beatles vs Stones a Musical Showdown – The Moon Tallahassee, Mar. 23 at 8 p.m, Tickets $20. (Tickets available at tallahassee.moonevents.com)
  • Elle King – The Moon Tallahassee, Apr. 11 at 8:30 p.m, Tickets $25 (Tickets available at tallahassee.moonevents.com)

FSU Sporting Events:

When I reached out to college students to find out what dates they’d enjoy, one girl responded, “I’ve always thought that going to one of the basketball games would be a cute date.” Not only is this a great idea, but it’s completely free to go to any sporting event as an FSU student. Basketball games will extend well into March and soon enough softball, baseball and tennis will be competing as well. Oftentimes these events give out free t-shirts and coupons to restaurants too so take your pick and check out the tickets here.

Courtesy of tomahawknation

Walks in the Park:

Taking a stroll through a park is a sure way to get the conversation flowing on a date and if it doesn’t, then at least you’ll burn off some calories. Tallahassee’s Cascades Park is a great option, while another college student suggested a trip to Lake Ella with a pitstop at Big Easy Snowballs – a Midtown frosted treat that only costs $3.29. Don’t believe me? Check out their website.

Courtesy of Visit Florida

Picnic:

If you’re tight on cash and not looking to ball out at a fancy restaurant, a picnic is an easy alternative. Grab some cheap takeout or whip up a meal yourself and take it with you! All you really need is a blanket and your date.

On-Campus Movies:

Florida State’s Student Life Cinema offers an insane lineup of movies every semester that are completely free of charge for FSU students and are available for guests at a reduced price. The SLC plays classics, childhood favorites, recently released films and even advanced screenings of movies that have yet to hit the theaters. Additionally, The Challenger Center of Tallahassee also offers reduced ticket pricing for students to watch a variety of movies in IMAX. Check out both of their websites for movie schedules and ticket pricing.

Roller Skating:

If you’re really looking to get physical, take your date roller skating. Maybe you’ll both shred or maybe you’ll fall on your butt a few times, but either way, it’ll be a memorable experience. Plus, at the most, it’ll only cost you $13 per person and it’s only $4 on Mondays! Check out Tallahassee’s Skate World for additional events and pricing.

Movie Night In:

If all else fails, or you’re both just feeling like homebodies, there’s nothing better than a movie night in. Pop in a DVD or pull up your Netflix subscription and you’re good to go.

Tawnie Simpson is a Senior Editing, Writing, and Media student at Florida State University. She enjoys (needs) a good cup of cold brew, she comes from a small town nobody knows called "about an hour south of Tampa" and she is often mistaken for 10-year-old Lindsay Lohan, but she's not complaining.
Her Campus at Florida State University.