Career

A Chat with Megan Rosenblum: Vice President of No Bears Allowed

Her Campus (HC): Hello, Megan! Tell me about you!

Megan Rosenblum (MR): I’m a junior at FSU currently majoring in Creative Writing and Media Communications while also getting a minor in business. I am very involved in the comedy scene here, so I’m a part of No Bears Allowed, which is an improv troupe on campus. I was just re-elected Vice President for my senior year which I’m really excited about. I write for The Eggplant at FSU, which is a satirical publication, and I do standup sometimes around town.

HC: You’re very involved in the Tallahassee comedy scene! What’s that been like?

MR: It’s been really exciting and fun! I’ve made some of my closest friends through these clubs and organizations, like No Bears Allowed and The Eggplant. I also just feel like I’ve gotten a lot more confident in myself and been able to trust myself. It’s been more than just comedy; it’s been a lot of character building for me.

HC: This is a question I think women in comedy get asked a lot, but I’ve heard in conversations that the bar is very different for men in comedy compared to women. How does it feel to be a woman in that boy’s club kind of space?

MR: It makes it a lot harder. For instance, a lot of guys can go up with their standup, let’s say, and make a joke about being ugly or make fun of their weight and stuff. People laugh at it in the audience, but as soon as a girl goes up and makes a joke about her weight or being not the prettiest or something the audience is kind of like, “awwww.” They don’t take women as seriously sometimes or feel bad for them, rather than laughing with them. But for No Bears Allowed there’s a long-form female-only group that’s just a bunch of girls doing improv and the guys always make comments about it like, “oh, we want to have that, too.” This past Friday we had a show and the girls’ team, I think, did a great job. It was really fun and really funny, and people really enjoyed it so it makes me happy to see a bunch of girls being funny without the assistance of men.

HC: That’s so great. Now, you’ve done a lot of comedy on campus. Is that something you hope to take with you in your career or is it more of a college extracurricular?

MR: I think I really want to work in entertainment and comedy. I was able to intern at Conan this past summer and experience being on the set. It allowed me to learn how late night television shows function and how fun it is to be a part of them. I watched the writers make a bunch of drafts and run rehearsals and it inspired and motivated me. I think I definitely want to bring the comedy I’ve been doing into my career whether that be in creative development, writing or even doing improv and stand-up on my own. This upcoming summer, I’m doing an improv program in Chicago for 5-weeks, so I’m very serious about it and I do want to continue it as a career.

HC: Do you feel like the classes you’ve taken have prepped you for the world? Or is it more so the comedy circles you’ve been a part of? Or both?

MR: My classes are great and I enjoy them. My writing classes are good because they get me writing, but I feel like I’ve gotten a lot of experience and exposure from doing things outside of school. The clubs I’ve been a part of and my internships are where I feel like I’ve grown the most and have made the most connections.

HC: I’ve found that in creative fields, there can be a lot of flack for trying to pursue a non-standard, artistic career path. How do you negotiate doing what you love and not being afraid to pursue something creative as a career?

MR: At the end of the day, sometimes I feel guilty, like “there are people dying that need help. I should be a doctor,” but I think it’s remembering that you’re helping them in a different way. There are so many people in the world that are already occupying these jobs, so why do something every day that you aren’t super passionate about? I can follow a creative outlet and bring joy to people in other ways. Try it while you’re young!

HC: Is there anything else we should know about Megan Rosenblum?

MR: I just think it’s really nice to have been able to come to FSU and to find places where I’ve fit in and can have friends and do what I love to do. A lot of people come into college not knowing what they want or joining something because they think they have to, and I am proud of myself for sticking to what I wanted to do. I rushed Greek life and I knew deep down that wasn’t for me, so I was able to find my passion and make friends. Now I feel like I’m really supported by a lot of people. So coming into school, my advice is to not be afraid to take risks and meet people. At the end of the day, people care and want to support each other.

You can learn more about Megan’s Conan internship here.

All photos courtesy of Megan Rosenblum.

Nellie Zucker is a staff-writer for the HerCampus FSU chapter and is pursuing a degree in English Literature. While she has a knack and passion for covering harder news stories, she also enjoys writing about film, television, music, and comedy. She hopes to apply her skills as a staff writer for a magazine, newspaper, or television show after graduation.