After five long years Justin Bieber’s highly anticipated fifth studio album, Changes, has been released on Feb 14 as a Valentine’s Day treat for his fans. Unlike his other albums, Bieber has decided to stray away from his traditional pop sound and venture towards a more R&B feel. Justin originally took this hiatus to focus on his mental health but now he is ready to get back in the game

In this album, Bieber touches on married life (appropriate for the Valentine’s Day release) and with the album he tracks his attempt to overcome personal struggles with anxiety to become the best version of himself.

Changes consist of 17 tracks with star-studded features from Kehlani, Post Malone, Quavo, Summer Walker, Travis Scott, Lil Dicky and Clever. Bieber switches between upbeat bangers and heartfelt ballads offering something for everyone that gives it a listen. 

Bieber Gif
Giphy

Along with the album release, Bieber will also be going on a stadium tour this spring starting in May with special guest Kehlani and Jaden Smith. Tickets have already gone on sale!

Alongside the album and tour, Bieber has also released a 10-part docuseries, Seasons, on Youtube giving fans a big insight into the making of Changes, his past struggles with anxiety, depression, addiction and his wedding. Bieber gets real personal with the viewers, even at times breaking down while talking about a dark time in his life. 

“I felt as though I was like dying. My security was coming into the room at night to check my pulse. People don’t know how serious it got, it was crazy scary” says Bieber when reflecting on the point in which he realized he had a problem. 

Within the whole process of addiction, recovery and dealing with his diagnosis with Lyme disease and depression, Bieber’s wife, Hailey Bieber, played a major role in helping Justin get to where he is today. Justin makes sure to highlight this in the docu-series and throughout the album.

Some of the reviews for the album thus far include:

“His R&B tendencies are natural and unforced and, most importantly, never gratuitously flashy. And he’s never sounded better than he does on Changes, his fifth studio album” – Variety

“With Changes, the 25-year-old Bieber has reemerged clear-eyed and confident, assertive in both the sonic and thematic focus of his latest project while deploying the gleaming vocals that made him a young star” – Billboard

“The vocal production on this album is sick. (And I’m hard to impress). It’s mixed impeccably and his voice has never sounded better”- @charlieputh.

“Long on clean-toned guitars and drowsy soul grooves — and many, many words about the love of a good woman — it represents a distinct shift from the throbbing EDM of Bieber’s last album, 2015’s Purpose its stylistic consistency marks a new approach… Yet R&B has always been where Bieber… It’s the natural home for his high, breathy voice and for the little vocal flourishes at which he excels…” – LA Times

Changes Tracklist

1. All Around Me
  2. Habitual
  3. Come Around Me
  4. Intentions (feat. Quavo)
  5. Yummy
  6. Available
  7. Forever (feat. Post Malone & Clever)
  8. Running Over (feat. Lil Dicky)
  9. Take it Out On Me
  10. Second Emotion (feat. Travis Scott)
  11. Get Me (feat. Kehlani)
  12. E.T.A
  13. Changes
  14. Confirmation
  15. That’s What Love Is
  16. At Least For Now
  17. Yummy (Summer Walker Remix)

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Jahnaezha McFadden is a fourth-year Biological Science major at Florida State University. She has a passion for advocacy, journalism, and science. She enjoys binging TV shows on Netflix and Hulu and you can typically find her crying over a fictional breakup or death.
Her Campus at Florida State University.