Culture > News

Celebrities Endorse Joe Biden for the 2020 Presidential Election

Election season is in full swing and as Nov. 3 approaches, celebrities have continued to speak out about who they’re endorsing for the 2020 presidential election. Celebrity endorsements in elections are by no means a new concept but it seems that in this election, public figures have grown more inclined to voice their opinions. Over 50 celebrities, including influential figures such as George Clooney, John Legend and Cher, have all publicly announced their support for the Biden campaign. 

Recently, an issue published by V Magazine featured 12 cover stars and 45 public figures who voiced their opinions on the upcoming election and the current U.S political climate. The issue featured singer and songwriter Taylor Swift as one of the cover stars. Swift, who has used her voice to back Democratic candidates before, posed with a plate of former Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Kamala Harris cookies on Instagram with the caption, “I spoke to @vmagazine about why I’ll be voting for Joe Biden for president.” The magazine’s release fell on the same day as the vice presidential debate between Senator Harris and Vice President Mike Pence, of which Swift wrote, “Gonna be watching and supporting @kamalaharris by yelling at the TV a lot.” 

Emily Ratajkowski who has been a long-time advocate for Bernie Sanders also posed for the magazine’s cover and shared why she would be casting her vote for Biden regardless of her disappointment with Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders having to drop out of the race. Other celebrities featured in the issue include Bella Hadid, Jaden Smith and Billie Eilish who performed at the Democratic National Convention where Biden received his nomination.

Taylor Swift - Instagram

Another notable endorsement that the Biden campaign received was from Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson who declared Biden and Harris as his first-ever public endorsement. Johnson wrote about his political past on social media, explaining that as a registered independent, he has voted for both Democrats and Republicans in Presidential elections but would be voting for Biden in 2020. The endorsement video, which has received over nine million views, features a conversation between Johnson, Biden and Harris, in which Johnson asks the candidates questions about what their time in office will look like if elected.

While Biden has received a large amount of celebrity endorsements, President Trump has also received his fair share of endorsements as well. Actor Dennis Quaid voiced his support in April 2020 by saying, “I think Trump, no matter what anybody thinks of him, is doing a good job at trying to get these states—and all of the American people—what they need, and also trying to hold our economy together and be prepared for when this is all over.” Kirstie Alley, Stacey Dash, Kid Rock and Conor McGregor have all endorsed Trump as well.

While it’s unclear what kind of impact celebrity endorsements really have on swaying voter’s decisions, many have aided campaigns by donating large sums of money or co-hosting charity events. Major Hollywood donors for Biden’s campaign Jeffrey Katzenberg and Steven Spielberg both donated hundreds of thousands of dollars contributing to the 282 million dollars raised by the Biden campaign and the DNC during the last quarter.

The 2020 Election will take place on Nov. 3. Click here to make a plan to vote.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitterTikTok and Pinterest!

Student at Florida State University studying political science and philosophy.
Her Campus at Florida State University.