Celebrate the Last Week of Black History Month with FSU’s Black Student Union

Beginning February 1st, Florida State University’s Black Student Union and the entire university community has come together to celebrate Black History Month. The theme for this year’s Black History Month is “Evolution of Royalty,” which embodies black culture values and an incredible story of adaptability. The idea of royalty has become an indicator of self-worth as well as a symbol of hope.

Courtesy: Instagram

Rashard Johnson, a senior majoring in sports management and president of the Black Student Union at FSU stated, “Black History Month is a time where we celebrate those who have paved the way for us. This knowledge allows us to be prideful for our culture as we recognize it today. Striving for greatness and leaving behind a legacy for the next generation is pivotal.”

The month-long celebration began Wednesday, February 1st, 2017, with an opening ceremony at the Oglesby Union Ballrooms. The event focused on the meaning behind this year’s theme and featured art, entertainment and refreshments.

With this being the last week of February and the last week of Black History Month, if you have yet to take a moment to participate in any events with the Black Student Union, here is a list of events that will be taking place this last week February 20th – 28th.

Monday, February 20th: Town Hall Meeting at the Black Student Union (BSU) House from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Tuesday, Ferurary 21st: Parallels in US History, The Struggle for Civil Rights in Minority Communitites at the Union Ballrooms, beginning at 7 p.m.

Wednesday, February 22nd: Black History Month Dinner and Fundraiser at BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse at 6:30 p.m.

Thursday, February 23rd: Black Panther Meeting at the Union Room 312-313 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Thursday, February 23rd – Sunday, February 26th: BSU Service Trip

Tuesday, February 28: Black History Month Closing Ceremonies & Magazine Reveal at Union Ballrooms, beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Hello, I am Candida Pouchie. I am currently an Editing, Writing and Media major at The Florida State University. I aspire to one day pursue a career as a Television Personality or a Journalist. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.